Friday, November 5, 2010

Korean Folk Village

The Seoul Searchers are a group of women from our church who get together twice a month to explore different parts of Seoul. They've gone to different museums, parks, and cultural sites around Seoul. I went to the first outing--to the Seoul Zoo--and then pregnancy, birth, and motherhood got in the way. I've been anxiously awaiting my chance to re-join them and they finally gave me a good excuse. This Wednesday we went to the Korean Folk Village in Suwon, a place I've been wanting to go since we first got here. It's a large open complex that shows what a traditional Korean village would have looked like.

It was a beautiful fall day and all the trees with their orange, yellow, and red leaves were spectacular.

I wish it didn't feel like fall gets shortchanged every year.

The village was separated by a river and there were several bridges--of various styles and materials--that spanned the water.

They also had several demonstrations. We watched traditional drumming and dance, a traditional Korean wedding, and an equestrian show. And then there was this guy who walked on this tightrope....

....and bounced up and down it on his crotch. I can only hope that he was wearing some heavy padding.

There were only three of us there and since two of us had small babies who needed to be fed, we didn't get to explore the village as much as I would have liked.

Still, I really enjoyed what I did get to see. But I always love living history mueums like this.

Can you spot the cat on the hut?

There he is! There were several cats wandering around the village.


We ate lunch at a restaurant there and then headed home. It only took us 45 minutes to get back and now that I know how to get there, I may just have to go back again. But next time, I'm bringing David with me. I could have used a translator.

1 comment:

The Nelsen Family: said...

That's so cool! What a beautiful place.