If there's one thing I'm going to really miss when we leave Korea (besides easy access to Korean food) it'll be our apartment. I love our home. Love. And I'm trying to resign myself to the fact that I will probably never live in a home so nice for a long, long time. We may complain about certain aspects of the military, but they do take good care of their people and our beautiful home here in Seoul is one of the perks. Some of our friends have very nice apartments as well, but I still think ours is the best.
I love that we have four bedrooms (including a guest room if anyone wants to visit) and lots of space. I love my kitchen with it's big gas range (I love cooking with gas....electric stoves just aren't as good), built-in refrigerator/freezer and bountiful cupboard/counter space. The only thing that could make it better would be a full-size American oven but I'll take my tiny little one. At least I've got an oven.
I'm so grateful that we get to live off-base. I love our little neighborhood with its tiny streets and cramped little markets and delicious restaurants. I love that we are in walking distance to several Korean landmarks (Seoul Station, Seoul Tower and Namdaemun market) and that we get to really feel like we live in Korea, not just some high-rise two feet from base. I love that I can see the 63 building from our living room window, I love that I can just run down to the market 50 yards from our house to buy ice cream whenever the craving strikes, and I love that I can never get lost in this city because Seoul Tower always points me home.
Yes, there are things that frustrate me about living in Korea (and even in our home....some carpet would be nice) but mostly, I just think about all the wonderful memories that have been made here. And even though the world outside my window is so very foreign to me, inside my apartment, it truly does feel like home. And I'm always happy to be here.
Saturday, November 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
What a great experience you've had in Korea! I'm so glad you guys live in a good place, I bet that makes it easier to be in a foreign place, so far away from family. I wish I could come visit! If only plane tickets weren't so expensive.
I know. The tickets are insane. But once you get here, it's pretty cheap. Plus you wouldn't have to pay for a hotel. ;-) But if you can't make it to Korea, maybe you could plan a trip to Poway in June of next year. That's when we should be back and we have to go to San Diego for David to "check out" of the Navy. I don't think we've seen each other since I got married. It's been WAY too long.
Post a Comment