Monday, November 15, 2010

Gratitude Countdown - Day 6

I'm thankful for the internet.

I'm an internet addict. A junkie. I need to check my email 3,567 times a day. I just do. I'm a Facebook stalker (but the good kind). I'm constantly visiting my friends' blogs to read about their lives. And probably some of your friend's blogs too, when I get especially bored. I get to "see" my friends and family via Skype and our webcam. I can watch all my favorite television shows. I can still shop at all my favorite stores. I get to be 6,000 miles away from all my friends, family, and homeland and still keep in contact with them and still feel like I get to be a part of everyone's lives. It's a truly blessed thing.

I can still remember the first time I ever heard about the internet, the first time I used it. It blew my mind. It still blows my mind. I have no idea how it works....I'm just glad that it does. And now that I've been using the internet for so long to do so many things, it's a wonder that we ever lived without it.

So I love the internet. We're good friends. I have a hard time staying away. But sometimes I can restrain myself. (But this is why I'll never own a smart phone because I cannot be trusted with that much access. I'd be useless as a human being.) Isn't it amazing that we get to live in our modern world with all of it's amazing technology and inventions? Yes, I think they sometimes distract us from what's most important in life and certainly make being productive much more difficult, but they also bring amazing advantages with them.

I wouldn't be able to share this message with all my friends and family all around the world right now. And that would be truly sad.

1 comment:

The Nelsen Family: said...

I love the internet (I remember sending my first email :)! I waste WAY too much time with it though. :) But is's so awesome to be able to keep up with friends and family in a way we wouldn't otherwise be able to. I probably wouldn't be in touch with anyone, since I'm SO awful at calling people.