I am beyond thankful for my American washer and dryer (provided by the Army). Even though there are a lot of countries that have as high a standard of living as America, the one thing they seem to lack is the dryer. I don't understand why this is. In Italy, our washing machine looked like a medieval torture device and it took almost 2 hours to do one tiny load of laundry which then had to be hung up to dry. Most Koreans have nice washing machines, but no dryer or they have a dual machine that washes AND dries. But everyone I know who has one of these machines says it takes about 4 hours to do just one load and it doesn't ever really get things completely dry. Since the amount of laundry I do on a weekly basis has more than tripled since bringing a baby into this world, I simply couldn't live without my washer and dryer. There's certainly no way we could use cloth diapers or keep Zara in clean clothes all the time.
Our washer and dryer are squeezed into a tiny little utility closet along with our oven. It's cramped in there, but I don't care. Plus, Korean homes aren't built with dryer hook-ups so we have to stick our dryer's hose out our window. But I'll take the bugs and mosquitos and frigid winter air that comes into our house as a result as long as I have a functioning washer and dryer. Seriously, how do people [with children] live without them? We really are so blessed to have such wonderful appliances that make life and unpleasant chores so much easier. I mean, can you imagine doing laundry the old-fashioned way? So everytime I throw a load of laundry in the washing machine and then walk away, I try to remember how blessed I truly am.
Tuesday, November 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment