Good news on the pregnancy front. Like I mentioned before, my original due date was September 1st but after my first ultrasound, the doctor bumped the date up to August 25th. I never felt comfortable with this new date because 1) I know exactly when this baby was conceived and 2) my family has a history of carrying babies past the due date. Sure, I liked thinking that maybe my baby could come earlier but in reality, I always assumed Baby wouldn't be showing up until September. So when the doctors started talking about inducing me on my due date (something I've wanted to avoid at all costs), I saw August 25th as a big blaring stop sign to my pregnancy. I needed to get this baby out any way I could before then even though I knew the baby wasn't ready. And Baby most certainly does not want to budge. Because Baby is plenty comfortable in there and Baby knows--like I do--that it's still got some growing to do.
At my check-up last week, I was supposed to be 39 weeks along, but I only measured at 38 weeks. (The size of your uterus is supposed to match to the number of weeks you are.) Despite that fact, August 25th was still my deadline and I was desperate for something to happen last week...that by some miracle I'd go into labor early. But as the week and then the weekend came and went, I resigned myself to the sad reality that I'd have to be induced this week. I've been a bit of a wreck about it. (Love those pregnancy hormones/third trimester depression. It's super fun!)
Anyway.....today, David and I went to another appointment (I swear, I feel like I live at the hospital these days) and the doctor on call said that based on all my information, it looked like August 25th was simply the wrong date and that the baby's due date should never have been changed in the first place. The Baby is just not done cooking. She sounded apologetic, like she thought we'd be disappointed to have our due date (and thus the impending inducement) moved back a week but David and I were elated and profusely thanked the doctor for not forcing an inducement this week.
So now we have one more week to convince this baby that it should come on its own. Otherwise, we're scheduled for an inducement on Tuesday, August 31st. (It should have been September 1st, but I really don't like the doctor scheduled for that day, so we moved it up a day. I mean, if I have to be induced, I should at least get to choose the doctor who'll deliver my baby.)
I'm glad to have another week to help my baby grow and another week for the obstinate little thing to prepare itself for birth. While I think some inducements are medically necessary, I never felt that my case constituted a medical necessity and I've absolutely hated the idea of forcing this child to be born before it is ready. I'm still hoping I can go into labor on my own (I have been having some contractions on and off for a few days now and I am dilated to a 3) but if I do have to be induced, at least I'll know that my baby had enough time to fully grow and develop.
So yay for good news. I really needed it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Yay! Let the poor babe finish cookin'! I think drs these days are way afraid of getting sued or something b/c it seems like everytime you turn around they're like "maybe we should just induce."
I'm glad you have one more week!! You know, it's looking like your baby could be born on Sept 2nd... :-) Kara would be his/her birthday buddy!
I'm glad you'll have some more time. The emotions at the end of a pregnancy are crazy - you want it to be over, and at the same time you don't. I hope you're able to take some time in this "extra" week and enjoy the end of your pregnancy... And hopefully you're baby will decide to get things moving before August 31st rolls around.
I'm glad they moved it back also. I was starting to feel left out if you, Jason and Kerry all had your baby in the same week! Maybe baby knew that she wasn't ready and the drs would give her another week. And Sept has a better birth stone than Aug anyways.
Such good news! I'll also hope the baby gets moving... our internet has been down for the past little while but I've been thinking about you and wondering what is happening, so I'm glad for the update. Crossing fingers!
I'm so happy to hear this! Liz you are going to do great!
Post a Comment