My sister likens pregnancy to a rollercoaster ride and I think it's a very appropriate metaphor. I love rollercoasters. The bigger, the faster, the twisty, the better. I love the kind of rollercoaster that makes your stomach drop out of its place and doesn't return until the ride is over. But pregnancy is the scariest rollercoaster out there and I'm all strapped in and I'm nearing the crest and I can just barely see what's coming up and I desperately want off. But I'm all strapped in and there's no way off so I just have to ride the ride and I hope I live through it.
I can't believe the time has come for my pregnancy to end.....only two more weeks to go (supposedly). And while I can't wait to have Baby in my arms finally, I've been a bundle of nerves over the delivery and the rotation of army doctors on base who aren't as supportive of natural childbirth as I would have hoped. A woman in my ward--with nine children--offered to be my doula and talking to her and knowing that she will be there to help guide me through labor has eased so many of my doubts, fears, and anxieties. I'm preparing myself for the unexpected and I know that things will probably not go as we planned, but I've also been reassured that at the end of it all, I'll have a healthy baby and that's all that matters right now. Now if only we could decide on a name....
Unfortunately, I haven't been doing anything exciting lately since my doctor all but ordered me to stay at home and do nothing. (She even told me I had to stop swimming and doing yoga which made me very sad.) Heat and humidity and nine months of pregnancy do tire me out tremendously and I'm often surprised by how tired I really am and how limited my body has become in what it can handle. A trip to the grocery store all but wipes me out and standing for any lengthy period of time puts me in agony. (Stupid gravity.) Luckily, I do have the luxury now of being able to rest as often and as long as I need and David has been very kind to ignore the pile of dirty dishes and laundry growing exponentially bigger each day.
Last Tuesday was also my last day of work. Granted, I only worked about 10 hours a week teaching English to Korean children, but it was still a little sad to say good-bye to my students who have a new teacher now.
The mother of one of my students brought me this adorable cake. The cake itself was pretty good, although it was banana-flavored so we only ate one piece. I suppose I'll have to throw the rest of it out. Fake banana is not very tasty to me. Good thing I just made homemade cream cheese ice cream with Oreo cookies. Now that is tasty.
I hope David and I will be able to keep everyone updated on the baby's progress and arrival. We'll keep you posted.
3 comments:
Hang in there! I remember all of those feelings. I specifically remember a moment when I realized that there was no great way to get the baby out of my body... and a bit of panic set in. Of course, that week I found out that my baby had flipped breach which opened a whole new chapter for us. But, everything worked out great... and your friend is right, in the end you will have a beautiful baby to oogle. I'm glad that you have a doula. We'd arranged for one before we found out Ephram was breach, (I was hoping for a natural birth as well,) and kept her even though we needed a c-section. I was so grateful for all of her help. Good luck - you're so close now! I hope you are able to stay sane in these last weeks.
You look fantastic!! That was so nice of them to get you a cake. So cute...that is a bummer it was banana flavored I am with you!
You know what you need to pass the time? THE NEW ARCADE FIRE ALBUM!!! :-D Heehee! You are looking great Liz! Hang in there!!
Post a Comment