Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The Countdown Begins

Today is 39 weeks and I'm still pregnant. Since my original due date was September 1st and since my family has a history of having overdue babies, I assumed my baby wouldn't be showing up until September. And I was okay with that. That is, until my doctors decided that they didn't want me to continue my pregnancy past my new due date of August 25th. So now I've got about 6 days to do everything I possibly can to get this baby out of me before I have to be medically induced. I really had hoped that I could avoid any medical intervention but Baby doesn't seem to want to leave its nice, comfy home, despite the quarters becoming more and more cramped. We're tried a lot of the standard natural induction practices: squatting, walking, and....other stuff ;-). I ate an entire plate of kimchi at dinner tonight because some people say that eating spicy foods can help bring on labor. All I know is that I'm ready for this baby to come, but I want it to come on its own so that I can labor without medication. There are a few other options available before they'd administer Pictocin (like stripping my membranes or breaking my water) which I'm considering in the meantime.

The good news is that I have continued to dilate and am now at a 3, almost a 4, according to the doctor and the baby's head is in position and not bobbing around. So maybe, just maybe, this baby will show up soon. I'm getting very impatient. I didn't realize how difficult these last two weeks would be with the expectations and the waiting and the anxiety.

Still, it's somewhat nice to know that I'll have a baby in my arms by August 26th, at the latest.

5 comments:

mj said...

Oh man. Getting exciting.

We ended up doing all of the above (membranes, water breaking, and finally pitocin) due to some issues that made the OBs/midwifes want to get the bebe out. And the one I had dreaded the most (pitocin, of course) is the one that worked the best. However, you are more dilated than I was, so your body may be more ready.

Another thing that actually did speed up contractions was pressure points. I can not remember exactly what we did--I remember Chris rubbing near my ankle, my thumb, maybe somewhere else--but you should google it.

Congrats, you are going to love this baby so much!

Cassandra said...

I can understand wanting the baby to come soon. I still have six weeks and I keep wondering if four weeks early would be too early. But enjoy your last week of not having to change diapers, planning everything around the baby's nap time (well planning everything around the baby in general) and having time alone to yourself. And try that last method of inducing labor a few more times. Once the baby comes it will be a while before you get to enjoy it.

abby said...

I heard cohosh works.

Nicole said...

I heard pineapple works! Heehee can't wait!! :-D

Liz said...

MJ, I will definitely have to check out the pressure points thing. I'd really like to avoid Pitocin, but the more I think about it, the less opposed I am to it, mostly because I could start contractions on a lower dosage (since I am alreaedy so dilated) and my doula knows how to coach through contractions induced by Pitocin (so I may still avoid having to get an epidural). I still think the doctors' reasons for wanting baby out are medically unnecessary, but I also can't say that the thought of not having to wait until nature takes its course (which could be weeks) is nice too.

Cassy, I think I will have to try that last method a few more times too.

Abby and Nicole, believe me I'm trying it all. I'm drinking red raspberry leaf tea (similar to cohosh, I've heard) and eating lots of pineapple. Though if that plate of kimchi didn't kick start something, I'm afraid nothing will. But we'll see. :-)