Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Gratitude Countdown - Day 14

At my Book Club meeting this past month, we somehow got on the topic of the difference in how we equate the work of men and women. We talk about the number of lives lost of our soldiers and sailors during our many wars. We erect monumets to them and have holidays set aside for their remembrance. Yet there are far more women who have died in childbirth than who have ever died on the battlefield. And how do we honor those women? They don't get Vetern's Days or poignant statues to remember their sacrifice. [Bear in mind, that this was a discussion among a group of military wives. We love our men in uniform and are extremely grateful for their sacrifice. I love patriotic holidays where we honor our soldiers and sailors. But the point was the discrepency between men and women's sacrifice and the value we place on those lives.]

Being a woman can be a dangerous thing and today I am monumentally grateful for the many wonderful women in my life who have touched me in so many ways. So today, I'd like to honor those women by expressing my gratitude for the many unique and important things they have taught me.

For my mother, for instilling in me a great love of learning and a passion for good books.

For my sister, for showing me how to be an independent and strong woman.

For my mother-in-law, for raising such a remarkable man.

For Kara, for proving that friends are the people who know everything about you and still love you anyways. We've been friends since we were 9 years old and I wouldn't be the woman I am today without her good influence.

For my grandmother, for teaching me the definition of charity.

For Jen, for making everything more fun.

For Whitney, for showing me that people are full of unexpected greatness.

For Tessa, for constantly amazing me with the depth of her sincerity, thoughtfulness, and sweet nature.

For Nicole, for demonstrating what true loyalty and friendship is.

For Tabitha, for teaching me the power of persistence.

For Mandy, for always lending a listening ear.

For Cara, for being patient and helping me strengthen my faith.

For Jasie, for teaching me that you can't judge a book by its cover.

For Amber, for inspiring me to be a happier person and for letting me be me.

For Kathryn, for teaching me how to knit, how to breastfeed, and for showing me that I'm not alone.

For Jenn, for telling me it's okay to have emotions and for hosting the best parties around.

For Rachel, for teaching me the beauty of being your own person.

For Erin and Abby, for teaching me how to see beyond myself and recognize the needs of others.

For Melissa, for telling it like it is and for making me feel like if she can do it, so can I.

For Kate, for being my American Studies sounding board and for introducing me to the Outlander series.

For Lexie and Lizzie, for understanding why we love what we love. [American Studies]

For Emily, for being a source of much baby-related information and encouragement.

For Darsha, for teaching me to not sweat the small stuff.

For Ruth, for showing me that laughter truly is the best medicine.

For Kimberly, for being a woman of opinions who is not afraid to express them.

For Amanda, for staying faithful in the face of much adversity.

For Tonya, for holding my hand while I pushed a human being out of me.

For Zara, for teaching me how to be a mother.



I'm sure there are many women that I'm forgetting. There are so many women who have touched my life and made it better. Who are the women in your life and how will you honor them today?

2 comments:

Cassandra said...

I didn't teach you how to be independent or strong. You were strong and independent from birth. If anything I just let you know it was alright to be independent and strong and reach for your dreams.

mj said...

What a fantastic post this was. And I never thought I'd be included in your list--what a list! Women don't get too many statues (though we should say yes there are some women veterans) but there are some great trade-offs.

I totally think Adele has taught me how to be a mom as well. That newborn time especially is so intense that by the time you get to the end of it, it's like "holy crap, I feel like a mom now. When did that happen?" And you can never go back, mua ha ha.