Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Did the cow moo at your feelings?

I realize this blog has become a tad baby obsessed as of late so here's something that's slightly not related to the baby. Well, at least not my human baby. It has to do with my feline baby.

One of David and my favorite sayings comes from my friend Kara's son, Andrew. Apparently, Drew has a bit of a phobia related to cows (or at least he did a year ago) so his parents bought him a stuffed cow to help him overcome his fears. When Kara discovered her son hitting his cow and she inquired why he was doing it, Andrew replied, "Because the cow mooed at my feelings! And it made me feel sad."

David and I laughed and laughed and laughed over that story and it's become something of a catch-phrase for us. Whenever one of is feeling dejected or sad, the other will ask, "Did the cow moo at your feelings?" It never fails to make us laugh. And it's become even more hilarious now that we have our own cow situation.

My mother sent us this purple cow stuffed animal/pillow for our baby. Apparently, this purple cow mooed at Suyom's feelings because she's had it out for the cow since it took up residence in the baby's crib. When the side railing of the crib was down, I used to walk into the nursery to find the cow had been pushed out of the crib and one morning, I woke up to find that Suyom had dragged the thing (which is nearly as big as her) into our room. We put the side railing of the crib back up to prevent Suyom from easily knocking down the cow but I'll still find the cow lying on its side in the crib with some obvious traces of man-handling from our dear cat.

I believe that animals are very intuitive and have a great awareness to changes in their environment. I often wonder how much Suyom understands about my growing belly and the baby that will soon join our family. The night Baby was conceived, for instance, Suyom was uncharacteristically affectionate and curled up on my stomach to fall asleep as I petted her. She has never done that before or since. She obviously knows something is up since the spare room now has a lot of new furniture which she delights in sleeping on so now everything in the nursery has a fine sheen of black cat hair covering it. Maybe she's nervous or scared or sad about what's going on. She'll no longer be the only baby in the family to be pet and loved whenever she wants. I think she's taking it out on the poor cow.

Who knew cows were so contentious?

2 comments:

The Nelsen Family: said...

Well, it's obviously been too long since I've read your blog if I'm just now reading this awesome post. I LOVE that you guys like Andrew's cow phrase. :) It's funny, because I saw that post title and I was thinking it seemed familiar...sad how I've forgotten that that was a Drewbie phrase! Look what having kids does to your memory...sheesh. I hope that Suyom is adjusting well to having Zara around.

Liz said...

Suyom is still a little tentative around the baby but she seems to be adjusting fairly well. But Zara doesn't do much....the real test will come when Zara can actually crawl or grab at the cat. Still, I don't think Suyom is quite ready to accept the baby yet....the cow was sitting outside our bedroom door yesterday morning.