Sunday, November 20, 2011

Gratitude Countdown: Day 11

Today I am grateful for the ability to create. I don't just mean babies, though I think I did a really good job with that the one time I tried it. I still sometimes look at Zara and marvel that I grew her myself. Totally from scratch! How did I do that?!?

I've come to see that women have the innate ability to create. It's something that I've come to love about myself as well. I didn't set out to be "crafty" or "domestic" or "housewifey" or any of those terms; in fact, I resisted them for a long time. But as I've embraced those attributes within myself, I've found great joy in creating things for myself, my family, and friends. I love to bake and cook and am grateful that I enjoy those pursuits since I know so many women who absolutely dread the kitchen. I love to sew and fill my house with the work of my own hands. I've undertaken a new sewing endeavor (which I'll share with you soon) and I'm surprised by own enjoyment at being hard at work at a sewing machine. I also (gasp) started making my own Christmas cards this year. It started out as a Relief Society project but I discovered that I really enjoy the artistry of paper crafts (I know, I know). It's a delight to create this things and I am grateful that I have the ability to do so.

No comments: