Thursday, April 29, 2010

23 Weeks

I hit my 23 week mark yesterday and I can't believe my pregnancy is already half over. I feel like I just peed on a stick yesterday and yet, here I am, 5 months pregnant already. The great news is that I feel terrific (the only troubling aspects of pregnancy so far are the increased number of trips to the bathroom and the occasional leg cramp) and the baby is continuing to grow and weighs over a pound now. I feel him moving every day now, though somedays he's more active than others.

Before you get excited over the use of the pronoun "he," the frustrating news is that the doctor couldn't tell if our baby is a boy or a girl at our ultrasound last week. The baby's back was toward us and his legs were closed. Sometimes it looked like a girl (as in, there was nothing to see between the legs) and other times it looked like there was a bump (but that could have been the umbilical cord). Since the doctor also couldn't get a good look at the baby's four-chamber heart, he wanted us to go to a Korean hospital for a second ultrasound since they have better machinery that can get clearer pictures. The even more frustrating part is that I've spent the last week and a half jumping through all these hoops and calling 20 times a day just so that I can MAKE the appointment. Maybe tomorrow will be my breakthrough and I'll actually get to schedule an appointment. As of right now, I have no idea when I'll have another ultrasound or if we'll get to find out the sex of the baby (since I've heard various rumors that Korean doctors are not legally allowed to tell you).

I've been trying really hard not to be so frustrated or disappointed, but.......it's obviously not going so well.

UPDATE (Friday): I had my regular check-up today and went into the Tricare office at the hospital and was able to make my next ultrasound appointment. It's next Tuesday at some random Korean hospital so yaaaay!

But on to happier topics. Here's the bulging belly. I didn't think there was a lot of difference between now and 20 weeks but when I looked at the photographs back to back, I was amazed at the change.

And here's me with my other baby. Suyom's not really a fan of being held but I'm slowly wearing her down. Poor cat doesn't know what's coming. I think having a baby in the house is going to scare her quite a bit. But hopefully, she'll get over that too.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Heehee you are looking great!! The picture with you and Suyom is really cute too. Glad to hear the pregnancy is going smoothly so far! :-)

The Kovar Family said...

sorry you weren't able to find out! Ephram tricked us and was a girl at first, and then an "I don't know" and finally we learned he was a boy. Hoping you get to find out soon!