The other funny thing about won (as depicted above) is that despite their high currency, most Koreans don't use bills bigger than the 10,000 won. They finally just introduced a 50,000 won note but most of the banks still tend to only give out 10,000 notes. (Which gets a little ridiculous when your rent is over 3 million won a month. Luckily, we pay our rent in dollars and our real estate agent exchanges it for us but seriously? Can you imagine paying your $3,000 a month rent in 300 $10 bills?)It's funny because some things in Korea are insanely expensive. I'll look at a price tag and my head wants to implode trying to compute how much 2,450,000 won would translate into American dollars. But there are other things in Korea that are insanely cheap but because the price tag still says "2,000 won," it still takes me a good little while to process that that's only $1.70.
Right now, it's strawberry season in Korea. The markets and produce trucks are lined with packages and package of strawberries--some small and overcrowded and others big and delicately packaged--and one of the markets near our house has been practically giving them away for free.
Because right now, I'm really loving the won. And the strawberry induced heaven I'm currently inhabiting.
1 comment:
We are loving strawberries right now too. You should try making some jam if they are that cheap. I can tell you how to jar jam or Mom can help you make freezer jam. It is so much better than store bought.
Post a Comment