Thursday, December 25, 2014

Holiday Baking 2014 Edition

One of the Christmas traditions I most fondly remember of my youth was helping my mom with the annual Christmas baking. We would make tons of cookies, fudge, and divinity to divvy up and pass out to friends and neighbors. It's something I've always done and it was great to do it again after a break last year. I may have gone a little overboard with how much I baked but I had a very eager helper in the form of Zara. Even though I gave a lot of our goodies away, I still have way too much left. 



I normally vary what I make each year but I always ALWAYS make sugar cookies. I don't make them often because how time intensive they are but I think they're my favorite ones to eat. Zara was very excited to help with the sugar cookies, but most of her creations aren't pictured. They were very light on the frosting and very heavy on the sprinkles. I also ran out of red food coloring so my stockings were a light pink rather than Christmas-y red. 

I made two types of fudge. I made this Rocky Road Fudge and Creamy Chocolate Fudge. The rocky road fudge wasn't as creamy or fudgey as I had wanted but the chocolate fudge (one side was plain and the other I topped with toffee bits) was delicious. I'd never made fudge that way before and I was skeptical at first but it did turn out really well. 

I also made angel thumbprint cookies which we used to always make as a kid. They were also more time intensive than I remembered and not as good. I don't know that I'll be making them again next year. 

I rounded out my baking with two new cookie recipes, a chocolate and butterscotch chip cookie and peppermint patty chocolate cookies. I think the peppermint patty cookies were my favorite of all the new recipes I tried this year. I love the combination of chocolate and mint which just feels so perfect for this holiday season. 

I think I'm going to go eat another cookie. I hope your holiday baking was just as successful and enjoyable this year. 



No comments: