Monday, December 8, 2014

A Bellyful of Coughs

At the beginning of November I developed a cough. It wasn't even a terribly bad cough--it wasn't the kind that fill your lungs with fluid and burn your chest--but it was persistent. I'd get on coughing jags that would make it impossible to breathe but they weren't debilitating, I thought. It must have been worse than I thought, however, because somehow during one of these coughing fits I apparently cracked a rib on my right side, which now made coughing and sneezing annoying and incredibly painful. 

But I was feeling better by the time we drove up to Virginia to spend Thanksgiving with my sister and brother and I was looking forward to all the fun we'd have together. 

It was not to be. I think I felt okay for most of the week but by Thanksgiving, my cough was back in full force, now accompanied by bone-deep exhaustion and congestion. I was absolutely miserable. I was completely knocked out most of Thanksgiving and all of the Friday after. We had planned on driving back to Georgia on Saturday so we'd have Sunday to recover and I wasn't entirely sure I'd be able to make it. 

Fortunately, I felt better on Saturday and we were able to make it home in one piece. In fact, if we hadn't hit bad traffic on the I-85 outside of Atlanta, we would have made astoundingly good time. But I was still really bummed that I didn't get to enjoy much of Thanksgiving and doubly upset that I hadn't gotten to really spend much time with my family because I was passed out on the couch. (And I was only able to choke down one piece of pie. Tragedy.) 

Since returning from Virginia, my health has been very slow to return. Most of last week was spent between the couch and my bed, dragging myself about in a sicked induced haze. My attempt at grocery shopping was equal parts tragic and comical. As luck would have it, Zara and Adelaide both joined me in unpleasant sickness but theirs was thankfully not as potent as mine. 

Now, almost two weeks later, I'm finally starting to feel like myself again, slowly but surely. I haven't been this sick in a long time and it has made me really appreciate my general state of good health. I really hope this cough finally clears up for good, especially before Christmas. I don't want to miss another holiday. Thankfully my rib is mostly healed, just a little tender, especially if I've been coughing a lot. My sinuses are clearing up and my cough comes and goes, but doesn't interrupt my sleep. 

Here's to hoping all of our health returns. And with it, more blog posting. 

No comments: