Tuesday, March 8, 2011

6 months and a week

A lot changes in a week when you've got a baby. You know?

Zara had her six month check-up today. She took the shots like a champ and the doctor declared her the best baby he'd ever seen. Not really. I'm just making it up. But he totally could have been thinking it.

Her new stats:

Height - 27.7 inches (95%)
Weight - 18.2 pounds (83%)
Head circumference - 16.9 inches (59%)

I don't think Zara gained as much weight this month because she was sick. I also noticed that my milk seems to be different. I thawed out some milk I froze back in December and I noticed that my milk now looks less creamy? It's like I was making 2% and now I'm only making skim. I guess my body knows how to regulate itself. Zara doesn't need to get all her nutrients from me since she's started to eat solids.

Anyway. A week. Man, it's been a week. In the last week Zara has -

- gone from army crawling to crawling on her hands and knees



- mastered sitting up unassisted

- figured out how to pull herself into a standing position (generally by holding onto a table, chair, or our hands for support)

- played the piano



- grew one whole tooth (I know she's growing more, but her first one just finally broke through the gum)

- rolled off the bed AGAIN (bad mom! you'd think I'd have learned....)

- started producing more...um... solid waste as a result of her new diet of solid foods

So yes. A lot changes in a week. I've got to keep an ever watchful eye on my bambina. I should never have encouraged her to roll over so soon. It's a slippery slope, I tell ya.

In other news, my friend told me that Zara reminds her of babies in old photos with her curly hair and rosy cheeks. A vintage baby, she called her. I think that's the best compliment I've ever gotten about my baby. She's a classic. She'll never go out of style.

But I bet vintage babies didn't pull everything out of their mother's purses in order to find the tube of lotion to chew on.

But then again, I bet vintage moms didn't leave their purses on the floor within easy reach of their babies.

Oh well. You live and learn.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

You've crossed over into the older baby zone! I remember sometime shortly after six months when Adele learned to do a bajillion things in one week and from then on her whole life was about moving. It was like she was suddenly a new baby. I personally loved it, though I can see how it could be bittersweet. I hope you enjoy all of Zara's antics.