My father-in-law has nicknames for all his children and grandchildren and he never, not once, calls his children by their actual name. Now, these names are all strange and bizarre with no connection whatsoever to the person's real name and they all have convoluted backstories or obscure pop cultural references. David's name is Ug. No really. He could tell you why, but I don't remember. Upon her birth, Zara was dubbed Zoomy. I guess my father-in-law just had a hunch, a feeling, that the name would fit. All I can say is that the man must be prophetic because this girl....? Does not sit still.
She's trouble. Big, big trouble. She's always moving, always on the go. She wants to kick, kick, kick or climb up on everything or grab everything or crawl everywhere.

She wants to touch everything, eat everything, see everything but she'd much rather do it standing up, if you please. Never mind that your pants are falling down because she won't stop grabbing onto them.

I'm afraid she's going to climb right out of crib one of these days or finally figure out how to scale a bookshelf. I've already had to snatch her away from the cat food more times than I care to admit and found her munching on unmentionable things. Building up a good, strong immune system, I hope?

Yes, this baby girl o' mine is trouble. Big, big trouble.
Help.
3 comments:
So you got gypped out of that whole "baby sits and plays calmly" stage too, eh? On the positive side, when everyone starts telling you how much more mobile she will be and how much more of a pain it will be when she walks, you can know that it is not true. If you have a crawling baby that does not stop and also pulls up on everything and grabs everything and destroys everything, you are pretty much already there! So, you will be used to it and the transition to walking won't be such a big deal.
For now just take a deep breath and see what you can do to help your sanity. Especially since your baby is so young she may not have a clue what the word "no" means yet, you are going to have to make some baby-safe areas. There's a balance for sure and you can't change everything for her but you also can't afford to go totally nuts pulling her away from stuff all. day. long.
I remember around 7 months being one struggle after another: grabbing everything in sight, twisting her way out of every diaper change, standing oh-so-precariously in the tub the whole bath long. It does get better in a month or two (or three?). She'll still be a little explorer but she will have already explored so much stuff in your place that she will be content to leave more things alone. Until then, though, it's all about whatever you have to do to stay sane.
It's hard when I see babies who are two, three, even four months older than Zara who aren't even crawling yet. They just sit there whereas Zara is crawling under chairs, pulling on your pant leg, grabbing at your earring, and just generally moving, moving, moving. Luckily, she is also a cuddly baby, so she's typically just as happy to be held in your arms as she is to be moving all around.
But oh, MJ, I'm so glad you mentioned the standing oh-so-precariously in the tub thing. Zara just graduated to the big tub and she just stands there clinging to the side of the tub the whole time. It makes bathing her impossible and much more dangerous because she keeps losing her balance or inhaling water. I was afraid she was just afraid of the water, but I'm glad it will probably be something she grows out of eventually. Otherwise, my baby might never get a decent bath.
Yeah, on the bath thing--just get in and get out ASAP. Eventually the novelty will wear off and she'll want to start playing with stuff. Then it gets really fun!
Post a Comment