My only pre-requisites were that the fabric needed to be dark enough to hide all the stains and would match with the lime green straps already attached to the high chair. (I wonder if you can just order new straps? I'll have to look into that.)
Thursday, February 10, 2011
High Chair Cover
This blog is probably really boring to anyone who is not interested in babies, sewing, and cooking as that seems to be all I really write about these days. But that's pretty much all I do these days so what can you do? I've been working on several sewing projects lately and I wanted to share my newest finished creation.
My friend Kathryn bequeathed me her high chair before she left Korea. It's still in great shape but the cover was definitely a little worse for wear. So using this tutorial for some tips and guidance, I set out to make a new high chair cover. I mostly used the old high chair cover as a guide and made up things as I went along, but I had a lot of fun creating this cover. It gave me some good practice with binding (which I still suck at....don't look too closely at the pink border) and I had to re-teach myself how to do button-holes. I had to made some modifications along the way but I think it'll still work with them.
My only pre-requisites were that the fabric needed to be dark enough to hide all the stains and would match with the lime green straps already attached to the high chair. (I wonder if you can just order new straps? I'll have to look into that.)
This was the only fabric I already had on hand which fit the bill. I have a couple of really cute fabircs with apples and other fruit on it but they have mostly cream or pastel backgrounds and I feared that they would be too easily destroyed and stained. But if this cover holds up pretty well, then I may make another one. At least this one is machine washable, so I may not have to stress over too many stains.
I generally like to buy very gender neutral baby items so that they will last me through multiple children but I like that I can make a new high chair for each child while still using the same high chair frame. It took me awhile to put this one together (from acquiring the right kind of batting, to figuring out how to cut the right shape and fit it into the chair) but I think the next one will go much quicker. I had a lot of fun and can't wait to see Zara use it today.
My only pre-requisites were that the fabric needed to be dark enough to hide all the stains and would match with the lime green straps already attached to the high chair. (I wonder if you can just order new straps? I'll have to look into that.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Very cute! And yes, you can order new straps. We have this same high chair and ours came without straps, so we had to get replacement ones from the start. Go to fisher-price.com and you should be able to get them there. Or you can call their customer service line at 1-800-432-5437... not sure if that will work from Korea though!
Cute! I wish I had the patience to sew something like that, because ours is in bad shape (not that it's being used right now).
Dzana, thanks! I'll have to look into ordering one. I tried to find it on their website but had no luck. I might try calling them. (I have a Vonage phone so it's no problem to call the States.)
And Kara, should you need to use your high chair again in the near future, I will gladly make you a new cover. :)
Post a Comment