Wednesday, February 2, 2011

A Stroll through Huam-dong

Happy Lunar New Year! Since yesterday was such a beautiful day and it wasn't insanely cold, I decided to bundle up myself and the baby and take a stroll through our neighborhood. We had a very pleasant walk, though Zara slept through most of it, and I enjoyed the chance to get out and enjoy the fresh air and sunshine. I hope it stays so nice a little while longer!

I took my camera along to snap a few pictures as I walked along. I love exploring our neighborhood and all its little quirks, oddities, and charms. I will miss Korea when we leave.


Zara bundled up in her bear suit and with plenty of toys to entertain her for the trip. Before she fell asleep, that is.

Some Korean kids that live in our villa built this snowman in the parking garage.

The sign is the best part.

David and I have never been able to figure out why there are two giraffes outside this building.

But it's a good thing there's an Africa Veterinary Clinic right down the street. For all those giraffes and elephants that live here in Korea...

This just seems like a bad idea. It's been way too cold here the last few weeks.

This is the fire station near our house. Did you know that in Korea you dial 119 instead of 911? Well, now you know.

I love all the tiny streets and walkways through my neighborhood. It's sometimes a pain to try to drive on these roads, but I love them all the same.

The little park that David and I discovered one day tucked behind a big church.

I sure hope the name of this restaurant isn't an indication of what's on their menu.

This looked like some building that has been neglected and is trying to return to nature. Only it looks like people are still living there. I didn't get close enough to investigate.

Makes me really want some cake. Too bad they were closed. But I also think they only do speciality cakes like wedding cakes and you can't just walk in to buy one.

This is the road leading up to our villa. The building with the wooden porches is ours.


I took lots of pictures of all the beautifully ornate and decorative doors, gates, and windows that I saw but this was my favorite. I need to take lots more pictures of our neighborhood so I never forget what it was like to live here. As much as I miss America, there are times when I really love living here.

No comments: