Sunday, May 31, 2009

I <3 the Mainland

Well folks, it's official. We have finally made it to the other side. I am no longer stuck on a small tropical island! I'm currently freezing my butt off in California. Seriously, we've got lots of June gloom and I'm loving it because it is not Hawaii! I'm so glad to be back on the mainland.

I did fear for a little while that we might not make it off the island. Those last three days were some of the most hectic and stressful of my life. In fact, I can't talk about it yet. It's still all too fresh in my mind. Maybe in a month or so, I'll be able to chronicle the adventure of moving but suffice it to say, it was awful and we barely lived through it. But here we are, finally in California. In a little over 24 hours, David and I have eaten at In & Out (pure bliss), Chipotle (fantastic), done a session at the San Diego temple, and met my adorable new niece Isabel, all of 11 days old. She slept in my arms for over an hour and I think I have succeeded in convincing her that I am her favorite aunt. Lucky for me, my brother-in-law has no sisters.

The rest of my family arrives later this week for a bit of a family reunion and I cannot wait. It really does get quite lonesome when you live in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. And I'm starting to think it's going to be even more lonesome living in Seoul with 11 million other people. But I'll think about that next month.

2 comments:

Nicole said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nicole said...

The word on the street is Koreans love Americans - the sister of a friend of mine spent a little over a year teaching English in South Korea, and really enjoyed it.

Like most moves, living in a new place will be weird for awhile. I have confidence that you will make friends through other military wives and church.

I'm perfectly willing to send you a care package - email you new address when you have it! :-D