Hi. I'm still alive. Just so you know. Just very busy with the big move and all. The movers come on Friday which means that I only have one day (ONE!) to finish organizing, packing, cleaning, etc. I knew it was coming on quickly, but I've been slightly distracted by other things this week:
1. I had a quick outpatient surgery on Saturday. Nothing major, nothing big. I'm fine and all and was up and moving around that night. My doctor gave me a prescription for percocet, but I haven't taken a single one. Actually, my tongue is taking the longest time to recover from the ordeal and not the actual bits that were sliced open. Apparently, the face mask they put in your mouth during general anesthesia to help you breathe often pinches the tongue and numbs it for several days. I'm slowly getting the feeling back, but if I stick the tip of my tongue into anything cold, like ice cream, I can't feel a thing. It's really annoying. I was pretty scared going into the surgery since any number of things can go wrong. Like I said, it wasn't anything life threatening or major (I don't mind going into more detail but a public place like this blog just isn't the place for this discussion....if you're curious, I can explain more), but I was still apprehensive about going under, the recovery process, and the fact that it was happening only 2 weeks before we were leaving the islands forever. But my doctor assured me it would be fine, it was a short procedure (less than 30 minutes), and that it was better to take preventive action now than to than wait until it worsened and I was was in a lot of pain. Which would not be fun since I'll be spending a lot of time on airplanes in the next month. Luckily, David was absolutely wonderful and supportive during the whole process and it even got him an extension on his mid-term for his accounting class.
2. I've taken a few sub jobs in the last few days since I figured it would be a good idea to earn a few more dollars before taking off and not having a paycheck for who knows how long. All I can say is that I am now 95% convinced that I will homeschool my own children. (David is 120% convinced.) Public school is, quite frankly, a big huge waste of time. (For the record, I want to homeschool while our children are elementary age and then put them in a traditional high school so they have the opportunity to get involved in other activities and take AP classes.) Anyway, subbing takes a lot out of me.
3. Parties and good-byes. Much more to come next week but it's so hard to say good-bye. Especially when you're not really gone yet.
4. Last day of work. Today was my last day at my part-time job. It was kinda sad, but I was done about 3 weeks ago, so I'm not going to miss it a whole lot. Actually, I'm quite relieved.
Right now, my biggest concerns are to finish packing, sell our cars (which is proving to be quite difficult), and to finally get our plane tickets. (The Navy is sure taking their sweet time with those. I'm a planner. How can I plan if I don't even know when we're leaving?) Hopefully I'll get a chance to update ya'll on our progress and adventures during the next month, but if you don't hear from me, you'll know why.
In just over a week, I'll be in San Diego with all my family and I get to meet my brand new niece Isabel. Yay!
Thursday, May 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
After working for a few months at a public school, I'm pretty convinced about homeschooling my children as well. We'll see how much effort I really feel like putting into it when the time comes, but I really frequently felt like I could do a much better job than most of the teachers there. Maybe I'm just arrogant...
Good luck with the big move!
Crazy times! I'm curious about the surgery, but I understand the public/private balance, and I'm glad you're okay.
I'm also very interested to hear your thoughts about homeschooling. We're definitely considering homeschooling our kids. My reasons not to are mostly selfish: I think it would be nice to have time to myself during the day and I don't know if I can be organized enough to actually get it all done (well, the second is less selfish, and more a concern about my own limits). Well, and of course that you don't want your kids to be "weird".
However, I think public education has some real issues and while I'd love to help solve them I see no reason to subject my kids to it while it's the way it is. First of all, I think standardized testing is absurd, at least the way it's done. I also think I could give my kids a better education than they'd get in a classroom of 30 students, because the teacher can't possibly give much individual attention and they waste so much time in the school day (you could accomplish the whole day's worth in an hour at home and have the rest of it free to do as you choose, actually increasing other skills and interests that are more applicable to life and happiness). The other biggie for me is homework, which I also think is absurd. There is a place for outside projects and stuff, but so much of it is just busywork. And in kindergarten, really?! I think through homework and tests and all of that the setup of school takes all the joy out of learning. It's not fun to read a book, no matter how much you might otherwise enjoy it, when you have no choice over which book you read and then you have to do busywork that goes with it. Why not just read it, discuss the ideas, maybe find some new words in it...? Etc.
Plus, the flipside of the "weird" argument is that, frankly, I kind of want my kids to be weird. I know you can't shield kids from the big bad world forever, but they're exposed to so much at school (language, commercialism, bullying, general meanness) and I'd like to delay it as much as I can.
I guess I'm more sold on the idea of homeschooling than even I realized. :)
Someday when you have time, I'd love to hear more about your thoughts and David's as well. In the meantime, good luck with the move!
(Sorry for another super long comment...)
Kiersten and I must have been commenting at the same time. Now I want her thoughts, too!
Emily and Kiersten - I actually wrote a big long post a few weeks ago about my decision to homeschool my non-existent children but I never posted it. When I find the time, I'll have to finish it and post it. I want to homeschool for many of the same reasons that you have listed. I'm always relieved when people don't look at me like I've got 3 eyes when I say it though.
As for the surgery, I really don't mind going into more detail about the procedure or the problems I've been experiencing. Again, when I'm not so crazed, I may take the time to write all about it because it has been an interesting experience. For now, I'll just say that I had a blocked Bartholin's gland (a tiny gland that no one except for gynecologists have ever heard of) that was basically sewed open so that it will stay unblocked. If it gets infected (which I have had happen before) it's extraordinarily painful and I didn't want to have to go through that ever again.
HUUUUG!! (I just googled "Bartholin's gland") I'm glad you are feeling better! There's just so much going on with your life right now! I bet it'll be such a relief to get back to San Diego, where you'll hopefully get to do lots of relaxing.
Not sure that I feel the same as you about schooling my non-existant kids. Looking back on our time at Painted Rock, I have overall good memories! But the early 90's were a different time than now... Dan's big on private school, so who knows what we'll end up deciding! We've got plenty of time until then :-)
Hi Liz-
I clicked over from Maren's blog. I have to agree with your homeschooling plan; having taught in the public schools for the better part of 10 years, I can say with 100% confidence that the public school system is bad and getting worse, not better. With the huge variety of homeschool programs and co-ops these days, it is much easier to expose kids to the "social" aspects of school while providing a good education at home. So, that's my 2 cents. :-)
Erin (Maren's friend from BYU) :-)
Post a Comment