Monday, September 8, 2008

Guess the Movie....the answers!

It's been enough time that I'm going to post the answers to all the quotes from my favorite movies from my post two weeks ago. Almost all of the quotes were guessed, so good job guys! I was quite impressed. Also, special recognition to Kara for guessing the most. Just goes to show that after 15 years of friendship, you and your friends will still like the same things. :-)

1) Stranger Than Fiction, guessed by Kara -- This is my favorite movie of the last few years. I think the writing is so clever, the plot very fresh and new, and the acting is wonderful. I really like Will Ferrell in this role and of course, I'm a big fan of Emma Thompson. If you haven't seen this movie, I recommend you rent it right now. Go now!
2) When Harry Met Sally, guessed by Christa -- Romantic comedies come and go, but this remains my absolute favorite rom com. I love that after 13 years, two friends finally realize that they are perfect for one another.
3) Pride and Prejudice, guessed by Kara -- I've really come to enjoy the new version of Pride and Prejudice with Kiera Knightley (who I do not always love), but this quote, from the 1995 A&E miniseries with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle, can never be surpassed.
4) Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, guessed by Kara -- I love these books and I love this movie. The sequel (which David very kindly took me to see) is not as good as the original but was still fully satisfying. It combines the last 3 books together so it can be a little hard to follow if you haven't read the books.
5) Stardust, guessed by Christa -- Such a great movie. This is one of David and my favorites and is one of the few movies that is better than the book.
6) The Cutting Edge, guessed by Kara -- Back in the day, when I used to figure skate, I used to come home from after practice and watch this movie and dream of going for the gold just like Kate and Doug Dorsey. Didn't take long for that dream to be quashed, but I still love this movie a whole big bunch.
7) Toy Story, guessed by Kara
8) Zoolander, guessed by Kiersten
9) Moulin Rouge, guessed by Kara -- This movie holds the distinction of being the movie I saw the most number of times in the theatre: 8. If you can make it past the first 30 minutes, this movie is absolutely stunning.
10) "She weaves all things together." I'm not surprised that no one guessed this one. This is from Terrence Malick's The New World, a rough interpretation of the Pocahantas story with Colin Farrell and Christian Bale. Though I'm generally rather hesitant about movies that take a literary license with historical fact, I actually love this movie. The cinematography is simply breathtaking and you come away with a very real sense of life in the New World with the arrival of white men to Virginia shores.
11) Sabrina, (the original), guessed by Kara -- My favorite Audrey Hepburn movie.
12) Empire Strikes Back, guessed by Kara
13) Jane Eyre, guessed by MJ -- What can I say? I'm a sucker for period dramas and literary adaptions. This version, recently released by Masterpiece Theatre, is very faithful to the book.
14) The Mirror Has Two Faces, guessed by MJ
15) Iron Man, guessed by Christa

Runners-up:

16) Stranger than Fiction, guessed by Kara
17) Stardust, guessed by Kara
18) Toy Story 2, guessed by Kara
19) Zoolander, guessed by Kiersten
20) Moulin Rouge, guessed by Kara
21) Sabrina, guessed by Emily
22) "I don't date these girls because they're well-read. I gave one of them a copy of "Farewell to Arms". She thought it was a diet book." This is another quote from The Mirror Has Two Faces with Barbra Streisand and Jeff Bridges.

No comments: