Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Family Fun Fest

Every Labor Day for the past ten years, the Mililani Stake has held the "Family Fun Fest," a day of food, family, and carnival-like rides and games delightful for all ages. The Stake Center and another church building share a large tract of land--and parking lot--in Mililani and every year, they set up inflatable bouncy things on the grass and those cheap carnival rides in the parking lot. Throw in lots of food, and it's pretty much the hottest ticket in town on Labor Day. Apparently a family in the stake or related to someone in the stake owns the company that rents out these rides and games. In addition to the games, your admission into the Fun Fest (no charge) comes with a hot dog, cotton candy, shaved ice, and popcorn, not to mention the potluck lunch that each ward puts on.

It was a fun day of eating food, talking to old and new friends, and reliving the joys of childhood. Obviously, most of the rides are meant for the younger population, but that didn't stop David and I from partaking in some of the fun:

The Rat Race: Two people compete against each other in this obstacle course to climb up walls, jumps through hoops and dive through holes to beat the other person. David soundly beat me. I mean, it wasn't even close! I got caught in a couple of places and kept falling down and laughing so much that I could barely go on.


The Shark slide! Pretty fun although I learned the hard way that plastic burns. Ouch!

David and I enjoying our shaved ice.

A view of the madness in action.

All in all, it was a delightfully fun day, although David and I both got a little sunburnt. You'd think I'd learn by now with all the sunburns I've collected over the years. We came home and enjoyed the rest of the holiday playing the Wii. I'm awesome at Wii Tennis, and I used to be quite good at Wii Bowling but I'm suddenly starting to suck and it makes me unhappy. We would buy more games but Wii Sports and Guitar Hero keeps us so entertained, that we haven't felt the need to spend $50 on a new game....although we're just waiting for Rock Band 2 and Guitar Hero World Tour to come out. Yay for holidays.

1 comment:

Emily said...

What a cool Labor Day activity for the stake to put on! Glad you both had a good time!