Friday, July 4, 2008

Spending Much Money....My Favorite Hobby

David loves Guitar Hero and Rockband. He thinks they are the greatest game(s) ever and loves to feel like a real guitar playing rockstar. The game looks cool to me, but I've never played it and I'm not generally a huge fan of video games. In fact, I vowed that I would never let my husband or kids own any of those gaming systems--Playstation, Xbox, etc.--they always just seemed like a big waste of time and money to me. But David really wanted his Guitar Hero and I had to admit....it'd looked like a lot of fun. And then he saw it: Guitar Hero for the Wii. Now the Wii looks awesome. I like that it requires physical exertion and the games look enjoyable and fun. Plus, that Wii Fit looks like a great way to stay in shape....and I have a hard time with that. So David and I decided that a Wii we would buy....eventually. See, we don't have a TV or anything like that and we figured we buy ourselves a really nice TV in Korea where they have excellent electronics and lower prices. So we knew the Wii would be a long way off, especially since they are so dang hard to find.

But then we went to Circuit City today to buy one small item and there it was, on regular white computer paper, hanging nonchalantly in the window. "Wii Gaming Systems Available for Sale." It couldn't be! So we were curious....we asked around. "Any Wii's left?" There was a small little pile right behind the cash register. They had to be reserved. But the assistant shook his head and said no, we could have one. So we walked around the store, contemplating if we should buy one but it wasn't really a huge struggle. We both knew we wanted one...so we bought it. So now we need to buy a TV and an entertainment center to put it on and the actual Guitar Hero game but at least the Wii is ours! We'll probably pick up a used TV on Craigslist until we can afford a much nicer and bigger one.

But we weren't done. After spending much money at Circuit City, we went to Macy's to look at their home ware department, to see if they had any of the items from our registry that we still wanted. I found a pastry dough blender (for making pie crusts) and a canister for storing all the homemade ice cream I plan to make with my Kitchenaid ice cream maker attachment. But then we went to the bedding section and we found a very nice comforter set on sale. It's not just a comforter, but the whole freaking bedroom including drapes, pillows, bedskirt, sheets, and valances. And it was on sale....50% off. (You can see the set here: http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=248305&CategoryID=31305&LinkType=SiteAd&LinkLoc=29501&AdID=46990) So though the set is supposed to cost $500, we picked it up for $250. Now, it's way too hot right now to use the comforter, but it'll look so lovely in the winter and especially in Korea, where it is much colder. But I loved the set and David didn't hate it, so I couldn't resist buying it. Now I want to paint our bedroom walls to match!

But the money spending wasn't done....we went to Lowe's, where we bought another bookcase to match the one we had bought two days ago. So now we have two beautiful dark cherry bookcases for our home. It's starting to feel like a home. Yay! Here's our lovely new bookcase:

2 comments:

The Nelsen Family: said...

Oooh, Wii is so fun! Good choice on that purchase...and the others for that matter (very pretty bedroom set!). You've gotta download the original Mario games to the Wii, it's awesome.

Liz said...

Soooo, we bought a big heavy TV yesterday (36") and my arms are now very sore and tired from playing so much Wii bowling and baseball. But I am glad we purchased it! So much fun! Do we need to hook our Wii up to internet connection in order to download the original Mario games? We haven't quite figured out how everything works yet.