20 years ago: 1988
1. I was five years old.
2. We were either living in Sierra Vista, Arizona or Augora, California.
3. I started pre-school at Tiny Tots.
4. I loved Teddy Ruxpin and My Little Ponies.
5. I was 5....am I supposed to remember anything? Because I certainly don't....
10 years ago: 1998
1. I was finishing up my freshmen year of high school and starting my sophomore year.
2. That summer, I took driver's ed and gave my mother more grey hairs with my stunning driving skills.
3. I played on the freshmen soccer team, joined the dive team, and did track and field. It was crazy, to say the least.
4. I had my first date.
5. I became friends with 6 of the most incredible girls. Well 5 technically; Kara and I had been friends since 4th grade. But the Magnificent Seven came to be and we've been friends ever since.
5 years ago: 2002
1. I finished up my freshmen year of college at BYU and started my sophomore year.
2. I got a job working at the Gap. For some unknown reason, I continued to work there for 2 more years.
3. I won an honorable mention and $25 in a writing contest for a personal narrative I wrote on the road trip I made with my mother to come to BYU.
4. I moved out of the dorms (David John....how I don't miss thee) and into Centennial Apartments with 5 other extremely fun and oftentimes crazy roommates and actually started to really enjoy college. (My freshmen year was a bit of a drag.)
5. A friend and I drove from Provo to Las Vegas just to see *Nsync perform at the MGM Grand. It was totally worth it.
3 years ago: 2005
1. I got my favorite job I have yet had: working at the BYU Museum of Art. I've since worked at many other museums, but this was the first (and only) that actually paid me to work there. I loved it.
2. I graduated from BYU in August 2005.
3. I moved to Monterey, California to live my sister Cassy and our two cats. I didn't know it at the time, but I would fall madly in love with Monterey and devote my life to moving back there.
4. I got my first full-time, post-graduate job at a publishing company called CTB, which produces standardized tests.
5. I met (but did not really get to know) my future husband, David, at the single's ward in Monterey. I would have laughed in your face if you had told me that I would meet the love of my life in the form of a skinny white boy from Georgia. Oh, how life likes to tease us!
The funny thing is, I didn't fully appreciate Monterey until I'd left. Isn't that always the way...
1 year ago: 20071. I had an internship at Tudor Place, Historic House and Gardens in Georgetown.
2. I got engaged!
3. I rocked the pants off a research paper for my graduate research seminar and finally realized that 1) I'm not an idiot and am actually kinda smart and 2) I could probably get into a Ph.D program and maybe even survive. Maybe.
4. I went camping at Assateague Island with my awesome roommates and had a blast. We camped right on the beach, were surrounded by wild (but friendly) horses, and my roommate's boyfriend finally had the good sense to propose.
5. I took out my endowments at the San Diego temple.
Yesterday:
1. I slept in until 9am.
2. Went to Wal-Mart where they FINALLY had more purple washclothes in stock. They match our bathroom decor so well and they haven't had any for a month! Then I finally mailed my parents their birthday presents.
3. I read The Carnivore's Dilemma. I'm still working on it, but it's completely changing my relationship with food.
4. David and I went to the Dole Plantation to get some super yummy dole whip (basically frozen pineapple sorbet) which I have not had since I moved to Hawaii. It very much cheered up a rather sad and otherwise unproductive day.
5. David and I played Guitar Hero as a part of our FHE activity.
Today:
1. I woke up and showered. Actually, both of these things are quite an achievement for me these days.
2. I became yet more discouraged by the lack of jobs in Hawaii and yet still applied for a few more.
3. I will do the dirty dishes and make David dinner.
4. I need to re-pot my tomato plants and trim the basil plant.
5. I will attempt to write more thank-you cards in the hope that I will finish them before my first anniversary.
Next Year:
1. I'd like to re-paint our condo.
2. And maybe visit some of the other islands.
3. David and I will probably move to Korea for two years. (He is a Korean linguist, after all.)
4. Learn Korean.
5. I'd like to work on my research and try to get published. At the very least, I'd like to present my paper at the humanities symposium held every year in Honolulu. Might as well since I live here.

2 comments:
Hello! Found your blog from your facebook page... Okay, so how do you trim a basil plant? I have one I'm hoping I can keep alive. I'm pretty good at killing things. So tips would be quite helpful. I even put a picture of the basil plant on our blog. Haha. It's been keeping me pretty happy to watch it, but I don't know how to make it undroopy. Do you think it might have too many leaves on it? That's all I can think. You see how little I know. :)
Basil is a weed and it certainly grows much faster than I can use it. My basil plant has grown at least a foot and is about ready to take over the kitchen window. You don't want to cut the stems of a basil plant, but rather you want to pinch the leaves off right at the stem. More leaves will grow in its place, but constantly trimming allows the plant to grow bushier apparently. I often freeze my basil so that it stays fresh so I can use it again. That's about all I know. I most certainly do not have a green thumb. But basil is pretty easy to keep alive and growing....we'll see if my tomato plants actually survive.
Post a Comment