Friday, July 18, 2008

Random Happenings....

So I'm still looking for work. I've applied to I don't even know how many jobs, but there's an admin position that just opened up here in Mililani which sounds like it would be perfect. It doesn't have the greatest pay, but having a shorter commute time would more than make up for that fact. Now I just need to get off my lazy bum and apply. I hate writing cover letters. I think I have the same problem with them as I do with writing my thank you cards for my wedding. (I've been working on them for over a month now! And they're still not finished!) I hate sounding fake or insincere when I'm perfectly sincere and perfectly confident of my ability to do a job well. But the format simply lends itself to that insincerity. Oh well. A job is a job and I more than need one right now. In other news, I spent most of the day yesterday making Malasadas, which are a doughy Portugese doughnut of sorts. David and I had them at this delicious bakery on the Big Island and I bought a pre-made mix there to make them at home. The dough took FOREVER to rise but they turned out pretty well, if I do say so myself.


They tasted so much better yesterday when they were fresh and hot right out of the hot oil, but they were still a delicious breakfast this morning.


My plants are growing so big! My basil is growing way too fast. I keep meaning to cut it to freeze it or make some pesto, but it's growing like a weed! My tomato plants are growing really well and have nearly doubled in size. A few little bulbs have emerged and I hope we'll have fresh roma tomatoes soon enough.

I'm so excited for the weekend to be here. This has been a long week and every night David has been super busy with homework, so this will be our first chance to spend lots of time just having fun together this week. We're planning on going to see the Dark Knight tonight and maybe so to the temple tomorrow. Yay!


2 comments:

The Nelsen Family: said...

Mmmm, fresh basil! I grew some herbs last summer and loved it. Sadly, this summer it didn't happen...I'm a little busy I guess. :)
Good luck with the job thing, I know it's not fun to search. It took John over a year to find a job (to replace his horrible job). Not to be a downer..hehe. Point is, it'll happen.

Liz said...

The fresh basil is fun. I've got to find some good recipes to use it in. Job hunting is definitely not enjoyable but it helps that David makes enough that I can be unemployed for awhile and not have to worry about running out of money. Still, I'm getting to the point where a job at the Gap doesn't sound so bad anymore. I just need to be going out and doing something! Of course, I've grown accustomed to desk jobs so I don't think I could ever go back to working on my feet so much or working such odd hours. No, a desk job it is. I just wish there were one out there for me to find.