Monday, July 21, 2008

Husband Tag

I love getting-to-know you questions. As much as I avoid people, I do love getting to hear other people's stories and the little details of their life. And I especially love those long questionnaires that often circulate via email or blog from time to time. It's a great way to catalog your life and to think about things you might not otherwise contemplate. In any case, I found this tag on someone else's blog and I liked it because it's about husbands. And if it's one thing I love, it's embarrassing David. So without further ado, he's a short question-and-answer about my husband of six weeks:

1. What is his name? David Michael Malone. I have realized, though, that I hardly ever call him by his actual name. I always just refer to him as "honey." Funny how that happens.
2.Who eats more? David. Whenever I'm making dinner, I always think, "How much would I eat?" and then I double or triple the amount. David has super fast metabolism and can eat quite a bit but he rarely overeats. Plus he literally wipes his plate clean. There is hardly ever anything left on his plate at the end of dinner, whereas I make it a habit to leave some food behind.
3. Who said 'I love you' first? David, but I quickly followed. Our first date was on a Tuesday (May 2nd) and he said "I love you" on Thursday. It was unexpected, especially so soon, but I was already in love with him before he asked me out that it didn't really faze me. It was the question he asked that Saturday that really threw me for a loop.
4. Who is taller? I'll give this one to David, but only just barely. If I wear only heels at all, I'm taller. But David actually really enjoys it when I'm taller than him so there you go.
5. Who is smarter? This is a rather relative question. We're smarter in different ways. I'm a book/school nerd and have two degrees. When it comes to art, history, and literature, I'm definitely smarter. But David has more street smarts and math skills. He picks things up very quickly and has the most amazing memory. I'm always shocked by the things he can remember from high school, whereas I struggle to remember some of the things I learned in my last semester of graduate school (which was 3 months ago). Plus David speaks two rather difficult Asian languages so he's got that over me.
6. Who is more sensitive? In most cases, David. I have my moments, but David is by far the more sensitive one (and I mean that in a very good way).
7. Who does the laundry? David is very particular about how laundry is washed so he generally does the actually loading of the laundry but I generally fold it. However, David has a special way to fold some of his clothes that I haven't yet learned, so all of his clean clothes are piled up in a laundry basket right now and have been for the last 2 weeks.
8. Who sleeps on the rights side of the bed? David sleeps on the right. I always sleep on the side of the bed that is closest to the door and at the current moment, that is the left side of the bed.
9. Who pays the bills? David because 1) I am unemployed and don't make any money and 2) David bought his condo over a year ago and so he's been taking care of the bills way before I showed up. There's not really any bills that we've taken on since we've been married. David takes care of the finances (I figure it's good practice since he wants to be an accountant) but I am always there to discuss where our money goes and how it's being spent.
10. Who cooks more? Hahaha. I do all the cooking. David sometimes makes pancakes, but I'm the mastermind behind the food. I enjoy cooking and planning the menu and trying out new recipes, but I need to include David more in the meal preparation so that he can learn to fend for himself when I'm not around or not well enough to cook.
11. What meals do you cook together? See above. But we currently have a pretty nice system going on. I do the cooking, we eat together, and then David does the dishes. I think it's a fair trade-off.
12. Who is more stubborn? Oh, that's definitely me. It's in my DNA. The Hayman's are stubborn people. Ask anyone.
13. Who is the first to admit they are wrong? David. He's definitely the peacemaker. It's a little annoying sometimes because he never gets mad at me and then I can't stay stubborn and upset for very long.
14. Who has more siblings? David, by one. He has 4 sisters and I have one brother and 2 sisters.
15. Who wears the pants in the relationship? I like to think that I do. For the inconsequential decisions, I do. But for the big decisions, I defer to David's good judgment, though of course, he always takes my opinions into consideration.
16. What do you like to do together? Go to the movies, play games and enjoy nature.
17. Who eats more sweets? That is definitely me. I have the most insatiable sweet tooth, but David has low tolerance. He really likes dark chocolate, but he can't match me in most sweets consumed.
18. Guilty pleasures? Guitar Hero on the Wii. We're both big fans.
19. How did you meet? We met in the single's ward in Monterey, California when I moved there in August of 2005. We knew who each other were, but we'd never actually talked until our mutual friend Monica randomly invited David and his roommate Jacob to my birthday dinner in February 2006. We slowly became friends after that.
20. Who asked who out? David asked me out on May 1st, after FHE, but only after months of text flirting and phone conversations and hanging out that consisted of me basically throwing myself at him. Don't think that I've let him live it down, either.
21. Who kissed who first? Again, I did most of the work leading up to the first kiss, but David was the one who made the move. I am a lady after all.
22. Who proposed? David did, both times. He asked me after only a few dates, but it wasn't the right time. But he knew that he wanted me, so he patiently waited for me to figure things out (and get my master's) so that when he proposed again on December 26, 2007, I was ready to say yes.
23. His best features? His eyes. David has the most lovely blue eyes and the longest eyelashes. It makes me quite jealous. There are certain other parts that I quite like too, but those are for me, and me alone, to enjoy. :-)
24. His best qualities? It's silly but David is the ying to my yang. In so many ways, we're complete opposites, but together, we make perfect sense. David is compassionate, gentle and caring. His heart is twice as big as mine and he always puts my needs before his own (even when I least deserve it). I often take life too seriously and I complain that David doesn't take life seriously enough, but, in that way, we balance each other out perfectly. David helps me see that life is worth living and loving, enjoying the simple things that bring joy and pleasure, while I help motivate and encourage David to succeed at work and school.

Pass it along if you're so inclined. I love hearing other people's responses!

No comments: