Monday, October 24, 2016

Zara's Birthday and Day of Pampering

Zara turned SIX! (Two months ago.) Six brought some exciting new things like her first lost tooth (gross) and her first chance to chew gum. (She kept begging and I finally told her she could chew gum at age six. Yay for arbitary made-up rules.) Here's a rundown of Zara's likes.

FAVORITE FOOD: pizza, tacos, pork katsu, orange chicken and potstickers
FAVORITE ANIMAL: cats and tigers
FAVORITE CANDY: sugary stuff, sour gummi things, lollipops
FAVORITE BOOK:  Mix It Up and Let's Play
FAVORITE COLOR: pink, purple
FAVORITE SHOW: Puffin Rock
FAVORITE MOVIE: Frozen, The Lego Movie
FAVORITE SONG: songs from One Direction and Justin Bieber that I don't even want to admit here
FAVORITE TOY: Legos, kitty piano
FAVORITE THING TO DO: annoy her parents, color, gymnastics
FAVORITE PLACE: friends and cousins' houses

For her birthday, we gave Zara just a few small things like some new clothes. But I also promised her a day of pampering. Zara is, if anything, 100% girl and she loves having her hair done, her nails painted, and wearing make-up. I promised her that we'd go out and have a little girl's day together. So in September, I took her to the mall to get her hair cut and styled at the Toni and Guy salon. 


She was a tad nervous, but I think she loved getting her to look so curly and pretty. 



After her hair, we went to a nail place near our house to get pedicures and manicures. The nail salon even had a little girl's chair and a special teddy bear for Zara to hold while they did her nails. She pinked blue sparkles for her toes and pink for her fingernails. I just got a pedicure. 


This was pretty much her face the entire time. 


She wanted to use the money she'd received from grandparents to pick out her own gift. I took her to Toys 'R Us to browse the aisles and pick something. Children always have such questionable tastes. She was gravitating toward a play cash register or some dolls when I suggested we look at the scooters. We had discussed buying her a new bicycle for her birthday but she's still a little too small to move up to the next size and we decided we'd wait until she was ready for the next size and her current bicycle--albeit a hand-me-down--is still in reasonably good working order and should last a bit longer. 


After showing her the Razors and explaining how they worked, Zara decided that she wanted a pink one. But doing a quick search showed that they were about $7 cheaper on Amazon so I negotiated that we'd order her scooter online and I'd buy her some elbow and knee pads to go along with it and she could keep the rest of her money. So the scooter and protective gear was ordered and two days later we were in business. She seems to really enjoy her scooter and takes it out for frequent rides. If I walk to pick her up from school, I'll bring the scooter with me so she can ride home on it. I think it was an excellent purchase. Much better than another toy she probably wouldn't have played with for very long. 

No comments: