We're not big on celebrating Valentine's Day in our household. It's nothing against the holiday, but since both David and my birthdays are the week before, we often forget about Valentine's Day. But we did something a little different thing year. We actually celebrated it.
I had the appalling realization that even though David had been thoughtful enough to buy me flowers or cupcakes for past Valentine's, I'd never reciprocated. So I went out and bought David some roses. And he loved them. I also helped the girls make clay prints of their hands, which David now has hanging in his cubicle at work. (I should have thought to take pictures of them before he took them away.)
During the day on Saturday, David and I decided to take the girls out for dates. David took Adelaide since he doesn't get to spend much one-on-one time with her, and I took Zara. Zara and I first went out for cupcakes (and I have yet to find a cupcake place here to match The Cocoa Bean back in Provo) and then we went to the Aquatic Center for a little swim practice. I plan on signing Zara up for some more swim lessons this summer, but it has been a long time since she's been swimming so I wanted to give her a little more practice. She had a great time and would have kept swimming until the pool closed but I was too tired to carry on. Swimming takes a lot out of you.
Adelaide and David went to the park together and according to David, had a great time swinging and sliding down slides together. David then took her to Whole Foods where they purchased some raspberry sorbet and ate ice cream together. We both had a lot of fun with our respective daughters and I hope we'll make this a more regular experience. It was nice to have a little one-on-one time with them.
That night after the girls went to bed, I made David and I a dinner of bacon wrapped steaks, potatoes and salad, and then we played games. (I won both.) But we also exchanged our Valentine Day cards. And wouldn't you know it, we bought each other the exact same card.
We're perfect for each other.
Scary, huh?

No comments:
Post a Comment