Thursday, May 2, 2013

Labor Wishes


I’m 37 weeks pregnant now which means my baby is full-term and shouldn’t have any medical complications should she be born today. My bags are bagged, all necessary supplies have been purchased, my freezer is stocked and I’m officially giving Strawberry permission to arrive any time she wants.

I don’t have any clues as to how this labor will go. I do think Strawberry will come early, or at the very least, she won’t make me wait until the very last day to make her entrance into this world like a certain older sister did. (With Zara, my water broke the morning we were supposed to go into the hospital to be induced.)

Other mothers I’ve talked to say that you should pray for certain, very specific outcomes during labor and delivery. I know that many of these wishes may not be realistic and I won’t be terribly disappointed if things don’t go the way I want, but just for kicks, here’s a short list of how I hope Strawberry’s birth will go:

1. I hope that I will know when I am really in labor. I don’t know why, but I’m really afraid of not recognizing the signs of labor (or active labor) and not making it to the birth center in time. My water broke with Zara, which was a pretty good indication that something was going on. But only about 10% of labors start with the spontaneous rupture of the amniotic sac so I’m not expecting labor to begin like that again. (Also, it’s kinda a mess.) I’ve started to have a few Braxton Hicks contractions this week (I didn’t experience them with Zara) and they don’t feel much different than the contractions I experienced at the beginning of my labor with Zara, so I really hope my body will clue me in when things really get going

2. I hope my labor won’t stall again. The first few hours of contractions with Zara were mildly uncomfortable and not really painful (they felt like menstrual cramps), but they were not very productive at actually dilating my cervix.  Add to the fact that I had to have IV fluids, antibiotics for Group B Strep and couldn’t really move or walk around since I was strapped to fetal monitors, and you have a recipe for a stalled labor. But once they gave me Pitocin, my body kicked it into high gear and dilated from a 4 to a 10 in two hours. I’m hoping that since I won’t need antibiotics this time around and I won’t need to be strapped down for any reason, that I can move and walk and keep my labor progressing steadily without any interventions. I hope my body remembers what to do, and won’t need an extra kick of Pitocin.

3. I hope my labor is shorter. Now, I know I’m lucky because even with a stalled labor, the entire duration of Zara’s birth was 13 hours, which is relatively short for a first-time labor. My family has a history of fast labors, and second labors, on average, tend to be half as short. Six hours sounds about good to me.

4. I hope my labor starts while David is home (and not at work). David works in Salt Lake City, a commute of 45 miles and nearly an hour. Given my fear of not knowing when I’m actually in labor and the expectation of having a shorter labor, I really hope I will not have to wait for David to drive all the way back from SLC to have him at my side. The idea of trying to drop Zara off anywhere or drive myself to the birth center myself does not appeal to me. (Though I could honestly walk there since it’s only 4 blocks away.)

5. I hope Zara will have a place to go. I have several friends who have offered to watch Zara while I am in labor. The only problem is that each one has limited availability depending on the time of day or date due to work schedules and/or vacations.

6. I hope for a shorter pushing stage and no tearing. I pushed for an hour and a half with Zara. I think I would have had a much shorter pushing stage if, again, I had been allowed to move into a different position. It was terribly uncomfortable to push lying on my back, with my feet in stirrups. I got so sick of pushing, that I ended up getting a second degree tear. I hope that by being able to push in different positions, the baby will descend and crown quicker and I’ll be able to take my time to push her out slow and gentle and not tear. I’ve been taking vitamins which are supposed to help make the skin more elastic so that you tear less.

7. I hope I will like the water birth. I’m planning on birthing in a birth tub, but giving my sensitivity to touch (as in, I often don’t like it), I’m afraid the water might annoy me. I’ve heard it can be very soothing and provide a lot of relief during labor, so I hope I will like it. Or, at the very least, I hope I will find a method/position/place that I feel comfortable with.

8. I hope we are inspired with her name after she’s born. Seriously. We still have no clue what to name her. It really may just stay Strawberry. But we do have 10 days to think about it before we have to submit the birth certificate after she’s born.

9. I hope she’ll be born on an even day. This is just one of my [many] quirks, but I don’t like odd numbers and I’d much prefer that Strawberry is born on an even-numbered day. Exceptions are any days that are multiples of five (5, 15, 25) or the first or last day of the month (though if she waits to come until May 31st, we’re going to have problems). Zara was born on August 31st, for instance, but since it is the last day of August, I’m okay with it. Weird, I know.

10.  I hope I have a healthy baby and a safe delivery. Ultimately, as long as I have a healthy child at the end of my labor, and no major complications (like death) for myself, I’ll be happy. 

Hopefully, it won't be too much longer until I can report back on how things went. Oh, and post pictures of what I suspect will be one highly adorable little newborn. 

No comments: