Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Baby Avoidance

So I've kinda been studiously avoiding thinking about anything related to babies and labor and birthing and breastfeeding and diapers and all that jazz for the last 8 months. It's been working out well for me. But now that I'm officially into my ninth month of pregnancy, I suppose I should prepare myself just a little for Baby Girl #2's arrival.

Last Saturday, David and I attended a "comfort measures" class at my midwife's birth center. It's was a 3-hour refresher course for previous parents to review relaxation techniques, the stages of labor, birth positions, and practice natural methods for having a more comfortable birth experience. I was a little skeptical going into it, but I actually learned some new things (like rebozo, which I love) and it made me feel a lot less anxious about going into labor. Even though I've successfully given birth without pain medication before, I've been feeling almost more apprehensive this time around. What if my body just totally fails me? What if my labor stalls again? What if it goes too quickly and I have to give birth on my front lawn like this woman? I'm still feeling nervous (I think all woman, no matter how many children they have had feel this way), but I'm not as scared as I was...which is a good thing.

But now, I have to prepare in other ways. Luckily, having a second girl means that I don't have to buy a lot of new baby clothes, so I'm set there. I dug out Zara's old clothes from their dusty storage bins and pulled out the newborn and 0-3 month clothes. I've got to wash those, along with the cloth diapers and receiving blankets and other cloth items. We got out the infant car seat, breast pump, and I scored a free [used] co-sleeper which we will use until Baby gets big enough for her own bed. I went to Babies R Us today and bought all the little things I think I will need: a new changing pad and cover for the changing table, new washclothes and bathtime and diapering supplies. I bought the infant insert for my Ergo carrier and I have a feeling she'll be living in that thing for the first several months of her life, especially if we have to move in June/July.

I've been making a bunch of freezer meals to see us through the first few weeks after birth, but I still need to stock up my pantry/freezer with plenty of food and buy snacks to eat during labor. Luckily, my mom is planning on coming to spend a week or two with us right after the Baby is born, so that should help tremendously. I still need to pack my bags for the birth center. I bought pads for myself (I didn't realize that you bleed for like 6 weeks after giving birth and I was unprepared for that last time) but I swear there are other personal items I need for myself that I'm forgetting.

I also bought Zara a bunch of little $1 toys for her to open and play with those first few days after the Baby is born so she doesn't get super jealous. She keeps asking when the baby will come out, but I'm not so sure she's going to love it once it doesn't go back in.

So, what else do I need to do? What am I forgetting? What else do you do to get ready for baby?

2 comments:

The Nelsen Family: said...

Are you seriously in your 9th month? Where has time gone? How exciting! Despite my best efforts, I always forget something. Usually several somethings.

mj said...

I think just about all you need the second time is a plan for what to do with kid #1 when you go into labor. Good luck, Liz! I'm sure you will rock it.