Monday, April 1, 2013

Something on a Stick Day

Seven years ago, I had this crush on a guy in my ward. We'd hung out a few times but he was very busy and I hadn't seen him around much and I was getting a little bummed out about that. My sister and I devised a plan to throw a dinner party with the express purpose of luring him to our house so I could see him again. We looked up a list of random national days (like national ice cream day or PI day) and discovered that March 28th was "Something on a Stick Day." So we decided to put together a fondue dipping party where everything we ate would be eaten from a stick and dipped into some sort of fondue or sauce. We invited several friends (including said crush) and had a delicious meal. 

David (my former crush....obviously) still fondly remembers that night. In fact, every March, he often casually mentions something about eating things on stick and how much fun that is and shouldn't we that again? And every March, I forget all about it until the day has passed. 

But this year, I finally managed to remember and we celebrated last Thursday with foods on a stick.

For an appetizer, we ate cheese on pretzel sticks. (Surprisingly tasty.)

Our main course was keababs of steak, potatoes and pineapple dipped in a creamy cilantro sauce.  

And for dessert, we had fruit kebabs dipped in nutella or a honey yogurt fruit dip.

Zara was rather unimpressed by food on a stick, but David and I really enjoyed reliving a moment from our early days of courtship. If you ever need a fun dinner idea, I highly recommend something on a stick. I'm normally not much for making a big deal out of made-up holidays (and even more mainstream holidays) but I think this is one tradition we may have to make a more permanent part of our family.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Cute dinner! I definitely agree that it's crazy to overdo made up holidays, but when it has special significance to you I think that's totally different. We like to eat sushi on the anniversary of our first date, too. I view it as celebrating our family history, and it's hard to overdo that. :)