Thursday, October 20, 2011

Jaker's Pumpkin Patch

David has the week off from school. There are several business conferences this time of year so rather than have students miss a bunch of school, they just started giving them the time off instead. David decided not to attend any this week (he's going to one in November) so we've just been hanging out at home, enjoying the time off. On Monday, we decided to visit Jaker's Pumpkin Patch out in Springville (a little south of Provo).

I'd never been to a pumpkin patch before so it wasn't quite what I expected but it was still a lot of fun for the family, especially because it was free (except for the super awesome pumpkin we bought which we still need to carve). The pumpkin patch had a small petting zoo area, several mazes, a corn crib, and a hayride.

We started out at the petting area. Zara did inherit one thing from me and that is her love of animals. She freaks out when she sees a non-human creature (in a totally excited, my head might explode from sheer joy kinda freak-out) and she was totally fascinated by the strange assortment of animals present at the petting zoo.

I'm totally freaking out here, Mom! Sheep! Goats! Llamas! Donkeys! Pigs! A Kangaroo!?!?!?!

For reasons I have yet to decipher, they had a young kangaroo there. So random. Zara didn't know what to make of it. They are rather strange creatures up close.

Zara was very excited to feed the sheep though. She kept grabbing hay and trying to shove it near them.

But as soon as they'd get close, she'd get scared or nervous and would drop the hay so David had to help her out a bit.

The most random attraction was the corn crib....like a sandbox but filled with corn. I know we grow a lot of corn in America, but that just seems a bit excessive.

Still, all the kids seemed to really love playing around in there. Zara was no exception.

David even buried her in the corn.

But she didn't really seem to mind.

After a good long romp in the corn, we picked out a beauty of a pumpkin and took it home with us. Hopefully we'll get around to carving it soon. It's been a long time since I carved a pumpkin so I hope it won't look too tragic. I've never had much luck.

We had a great time at the pumpkin patch. Free entertainment is often like that. Plus, we ran into several people from the MBA program (also interested in the free entertainment since we're all poor) including a member of David's group. It was delightful way to spend a fall day. I'm looking forward to Halloween and I'm super excited for our costumes this year.

1 comment:

The Nelsen Family: said...

Fun, I love going to the pumpkin patch! Never seen a corn crib though, that's pretty cool.