David had to take two prerequisite classes this summer before starting his MBA program so while he tackled those, Zara and I went exploring. I decided to make a trek out to
Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park right there in Marietta since I'd heard a lot about it from David. No, not about the battle, just the cannons. See, for David's Eagle Scout project in high school, he painted two cannons at Kennesaw Mountain. Well, I wanted to see these cannons for myself. (And also, did anyone know about the
battle of Kennesaw Mountain? I sure didn't.)

On our drive out to Kennesaw Mountain, we passed by Kolb's Farm, which had a hand in the battle.

I also passed some of the most beautiful houses I've seen in Atlanta. This was not one of them. Though I'm sure it was quite nice in its day.

The farmhouse is now used as a headquarters for park officials or some such thing. I was a little disappointed that I couldn't get any closer.

Zara didn't care. She just wanted to run around and stretch her little baby legs.

After a stop at the Visitor Center, where I watched a video about the battle (but I don't remember a thing about it so don't ask me) and bought a Christmas ornament with cannons on it to commemorate David's superior painting skills, I drove up to the top of mountain which had a spectacular view of Atlanta.

It was while I was up there, looking at one of their placards, that I realized that it was the anniversary of the battle that very day. It seemed like they should have been having a party or something but no one seemed to be making a big deal about it at the Visitor's Center.

I visited a few cannons (though not THE cannons of painted perfection, David informs me) and then drove back down the mountain and headed home. The trip home took me forever because our borrowed GPS took much delight in taking me in the longest, most round-about way ever. Those things are really annoying, but also, sometimes really helpful. But mostly annoying.
So if you're ever in Atlanta, you can probably skip Kennesaw Mountain, unless you're totally into military battles and the Civil War and awesomely painted cannons, in which case, you should totally go. Otherwise, it's just a big mountain with stuff on it. Oh, and a really good view.
I think I've got the makings to be a really stellar guide book writer, don't you think?
1 comment:
I've been to Kennesaw Mtn, but then again I was 14 and I don't remember it. It was part of some tour so that's why I heard of it.
Post a Comment