Now that this has been delivered to its recipient, I can share the baby quilt I made for my sister, who is expecting a boy in May.
I turned to my fabric stash and Oh, Fransson!, my favorite site for quilting inspiration for a quick project. She does beautiful, modern quilts and I just bought her book because I love her stuff so much. I really wanted to showcase the fun car fabric I bought awhile ago and I loved the punch of color and contrast the panel of blocks provided. (Fabric is by Riley Blake, whose fabric collections I love and always pick out without even meaning to.) I cut out pieces on Friday, sewed all day Saturday and Sunday and bound the quilt on Monday. (Which shows me that it doesn't take a year to make a quilt, like my last baby quilt took me....) Here's the finished product:
My sewing group has been working on sloper patterns. Basically, it is a very simplistic pattern that is fitted to your exact proportions which can then be modified and tweaked to create any number of garments that will fit your measurements each time. This is an ongoing, long-term project (it's really hard to get garments to fit well) so we've started making short goals that have to be finished in a month. Our project for the month of March was to make a skirt.
I used a fun sunburst fabric in my stash (again from Riley Blake) and designed my own skirt. I played around with pleats (never done them before) and put in a waistband with black piping. Since I didn't use a pattern, I had to improvise as I went along and my waistband doesn't fit as well as I'd like. I learned that wide waistbands are generally cut along a curve so that they are narrower at the top. I'll have to try that next time.
2 comments:
Everything looks great! I love the car fabric of the quilt. And I adore Oh Fransson too! Her use of color and design amaze me. I got her book and one other book as my only Christmas presents--it was all I really wanted. Hehe. Anyway, I have done both machine and hand binding, and honestly my favorite results have been when I do it just the way she shows on her blog and book. It takes time, but has such a clean and sharp look. Try it on a mini project and see what you think. Everyone is different on that.
Wowzers! You're awesome, Liz. And this is why my contribution to our family is working for the man during Adele's naps.
Post a Comment