Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Break-Up

Our internet was down for a whole 24 hours.

24 hours.

It was tough.

It felt like 3 days. I felt so disconnected and cut off from the world.

I rely so much on the internet to communicate with friends and family (not to mention that our Vonage phone which allows us to have a California number even though we live in Korea can't work if we don't have internet), to plan our meals for the week, to budget, to Google every whim and fancy that passes through my mind.

So what did I do for a whole 24 hours when my internet decided to break up with me?

I wrote a thank you card to my aunt for the Christmas gifts she sent us five months ago and then I wrote a 3 page handwritten letter to my Grandmother but I couldn't address them because my address list is online. I washed the dishes. I folded laundry. I watched a documentary about Elizabeth I and read two books. I tried to restain myself from eating all the See's candy mother sent me for Easter and failed. I gave Zara a bath. I snuggled with my baby and wondered at how much she flips and turns and twists around while she sleeps. I flossed.

It's amazing what you can accomplish when you don't spend all your time reloading Facebook and watching all three seasons of Castle.

But that doesn't mean that I almost didn't hug the very nice Korean man who fixed our internet this afternoon and who called Zara a cutie, but made it sound more like Q-T.

The internet and I are in love again.

Now if you will excuse, I have two days of Jeopardy! and several more episodes of Castle to watch.

No comments: