Sunday, December 12, 2010

Zara's First Thanksgiving

Yup, I'm way behind on my blogging. While I love the Christmas season, it does tend to take up a lot of your time what with the shopping and the baking and the general merriment. I wish I knew a better way to make it a more calming and spiritual holiday.




In any case, I'm not here to talk about Christmas, I'm here to talk about one of my other favorite holidays, Thanksgiving. Like last year, we celebrated our delicious meal with our friends the Bartletts and the Cottrells and hosted two sets of missionaries (all American) who were excited for American food. I love Thanksgiving. I love the food and the friends and family and the reminder that we need to be grateful for what we have been blessed with. I'm truly grateful this year for all the things I mentioned before in my gratitude posts and so much more. This has been a wonderful year for my little family.

Here are a bunch of photos from the day:

Homemade apple pie. The filling is still not where I'd like it to be, but the crust is awesome.

Pumpkin maple cheesecake.

Turkey. You know what's a good idea? To make sure that you've properly removed ALL the bags they stuff inside the body cavity. Because I kinda didn't do that this year. I thought I had, but apparently not. Still didn't ruin the deliciousness of the turkey, though. Just made me feel like an idiot.

Zara loves to hold onto her rattle.

Being held by our friend Spencer.

Zara is tired too after a big day of eating.



But she just doesn't want to let go of her rattle.

After our delicious meal, David and I went to the base movie theater to see Harry Potter because we're big, huge, Harry Potter-loving nerds. And Zara, being the awesome baby that she is, slept through the whole movie. So a great end to a great day and I can't wait for the last Harry Potter movie. It's going to be awesome.

2 comments:

Cassandra said...

Liz, I did the same thing with the turkey I made and also felt like an idiot for missing one of the bags. Glad I'm not the only one!

Liz said...

I thought I had gotten them all. I remember taking out the neck and thinking, "That's weird. Where are the giblets?" I guess I just didn't reach far enough in there to find them. I guess I'm not such a fan of sticking my hand all the way inside a dead bird's body cavity. I don't know what I'd do if I ever needed to kill and pluck my own bird.