Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Three Thoughts for Free

Drive-by posting with two.....no, three random thoughts.

1. Is it totally conceited of me that whenever I see anyone's wedding pictures, I always think, "My wedding dress was SO much prettier!"? Because it totally was.....

2. Related to weddings, we saw The Proposal tonight and quite enjoyed it. It made me really want to visit Alaska and gave me a little crush on Ryan Reynolds.
2a: I really like seeing movies on base because 1) they are free and 2) they always play the national anthem before the previews. It always makes me a little teary-eyed.
2b: My wedding dress was so much prettier than Sandra Bullock's in this movie. Just saying.....

3. I ate a 누룽지 (nurungi) flavored Korean hard candy the other day. According to our Korean dictionary, 누룽 지 is the "the crust of overcooked rice; the scorched bottom layer of boiled rice." It's like eating a Bernie Botts Every Flavor Bean and not one of the good kinds. I'd put it up there with earwax and vomit. But Koreans apparently like it. So much so that they have a word for the burnt layer of rice at the bottom of a pot. Go figure....

I lied. I have a fourth thought.

4. Koreans make me laugh.

The end.

3 comments:

The Nelsen Family: said...

I loved The Proposal, I laughed my head off. And yeah, didn't really dig her dress...
That would be neat to have the national anthem played before the movie.
That candy sounds rather sick.

Gotta go, my kids are smashing food into the carpet...

Emily said...

Your dress really was gorgeous. I think I sort of gasped when I saw pictures, and went on a "I wish I'd spent the money to get the dress I REALLY wanted for our wedding" inner binge. Hehe. So you're not crazy. I do that with a lot of things. Ahem. It's a bad habit, and sometimes I feel bad. I do that with other things related to our wedding (I was obsessed with our invites, for example). And now I do it with kid stuff. Oh well.

I never commented, I don't think, on Korean BBQ restaurants. After you put up the pictures I've been wanting to go in a major way. We went in California but haven't found one up here yet. It's fun to try all the stuff they bring you in the little bowls! Your pictures really did a good job capturing it, or at least making me drool.

Thanks for the comment. I'm glad someone appreciates it, really. You might regret asking me for more info, though. I'm already brainstorming tons of resources and stuff. You might get a longer email than you ever wanted... Give me some time, I'll get it to you.

Liz said...

Emily, as for my wedding dress, I had the advantage over most Mormon brides in that I had the time to both look for the perfect dress and to wait for my size to be ordered. I ordered it in December and it arrived in March (or was it April?) in time for my June wedding. Most Mormon brides plan a wedding in 3 months (I don't know how they do it) and have a very limited number of modest dresses to chose from, even in Utah. Most of them look so similar and they don't really take in account the different personalities of Mormon women. (We can't all wear bright white pouffy princess dresses....no offense to those who like that asethetic, of course....) I was just lucky to have found (okay, my mom found it) a dress that matched me so completely. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but it was mine.

I get really jealous about other people's weddings, especially the food, cake, decor, and most especially, wedding pictures. (I hate most of our wedding photos, sadly.) I liked our invitations and I thought the theme was good, just not well-developed, in part because I wasn't interested in spending a fortune on most stuff. I can't help comparing, but at the end of the day, I also can't say that my life was ruined because we didn't have a fancy caterer. But I will always look at myself in my wedding dress and sigh with absolute pleasure. (Also, I look really thin in my dress. I guess I should wear a corset more often. And stop eating so many Oreos.)

Also, thank you for the email. I will respond to it shortly. :-)