Monday, August 3, 2009

Onions

I don't know if I'm the only one, but writing a blog post takes me a long time, especially if I include a lot of photographs. I've been able to produce a few quick posts, but for the most part, I spend hours or even days putting together a single post. Most of the time, it's a result of getting bored or losing my attention span halfway through or not being able to find the right words or organization for my thoughts. I have several such posts in the works (I always have a lot of post in the works....there's a bunch I've just never finished) but right now I want to post a drive-by posting about onions.

Yes. Onions.

See, I've never been a huge fan of onions. I like the flavor they bring to a lot of foods, but I dislike the texture. I don't mind finely chopped onions in sauces but I would never put a raw onion slice anywhere near my mouth.

Until now.

About two weeks ago, we went out to a Korean restaurant and they gave us raw onions marinated in a slightly milky substance, possibly some sort of vinegar. Out of curiosity (and because I force myself to sample a little bit of everything we receive in a Korean restaurant) I ate one of these onions. I then polished off the whole dish.

Saturday night, we went to a different Korean restaurant and received the same marinated onions. I ate two dishes of them. I don't know what kind of sauce these onions are marinated in, but I'm on the hunt to find it out. It helps to tone down the pungent taste of the onion and make them sweeter.

I checked out 3 Korean cookbooks from the library today. I hope I'll find some clues. Until then, I'm going to be dreaming about marinated onions.

Isn't it weird how your food preferences can change? Next thing you know, I'll be eating everything under the sea....

Well.....maybe not. Sea creatures creep me out.

1 comment:

The Nelsen Family: said...

Sounds like an interesting dish. I'm the same way about onions, love the flavor but not the crunch and all that.

Next time we're in the same time zone together (who knows when that will be!) you should make me some Korean food. ;)