Monday, August 17, 2009

Life as I know it....so far

You know, I generally want to update my blog regularly, but....well.....there's just not a whole lot to say most days. I've taken to staying indoors recently because even though jangma (monsoon) season is over and it rains infrequently, it has become unbearably hot. I don't do well in the hot, hot heat of the burning Asian sun. I swear that Asians don't sweat. They still wear layers of clothes and skinny jeans and look perfectly composed while I try to wear as little clothing as possible and sweat like a pig. The hour-long trip to church (walking/subway) simply exhausts me. I'm always ready for a nap by the time we make it to our building. I can't wait to get a car but I have no idea when that will happen.

Poor David is absolutely swamped with work and school these days. He works 4 days and then has 4 days off. The first two days, he works a 12 hour shift in the morning (7am-7pm) and then on the third day, he switches and works two 12 hour night shifts (7pm-7am). Add in the two hour roundtrip commute to his office, and you have one long day. The fifth day he usually spends sleeping and then the next 3 "off" days are usually filled with pointless military things and homework. We barely see each other on the days he works and don't have time to do anything else the days he does classwork. I try to be as supportive as I possibly can because I know how stressed out David is and want to make life as easy as possible for him but it's hard to find things to occupy my endless free time while he's so busy. One of these days, I'll venture out on my own, but I often get overwhelmed by the fact that I can't communicate with people even though most Koreans speak some English. I have no problem riding the subway and getting to where I want to go, but I don't know what to do once I get there.

I've applied to several more jobs; one in particular at the U.S. Embassy that sounds absolutely perfect for me. (I actually meet all of their qualifications, and while I'm slightly over-qualified, I'm not so over-qualified that they wouldn't give me the job. Believe me, it's happened to me before.) I'm trying not to be too overly optimistic about my chances for the position, but I haven't been very successful with that. I think I've got a really good shot of at least getting an interview. In the meantime, I'm going to continue looking into teaching English or possibly subbing at the American schools on base, at least until I can find something more permanent.

Church, on the other hand, should keep me pretty busy. For those who care or know what I'm talking about, I have two callings and I'm pretty excited (and slightly apprehensive) about both of them. First, David and I were called to be the co-activities chairpeople. It's the perfect calling for us to do as a couple. David is very much the spokesperson/MC type, while I'm the quiet planner/organizer. It helps that we can do it together, especially since David has such a random schedule that doesn't allow him to attend church on a regular basis. At least we can plan activities on the days he doesn't have to work. Our first big activity is scheduled for next month. It's just a back-to-school/fall BBQ event, but I'm trying to make it as exciting as I can with games, contests, and prizes. I loathe ward activities where you eat and then just stand around and mingle. I'm trying to come up with activities for everyone.

A few weeks after calling me to be the activities chairperson, they also called me to be the Sunbeam teacher in Primary. I sat in on the class yesterday and will take over next Sunday. I have 5 students (2 boys, 3 girls). I'm excited to be teaching, even if it is 4 year olds, but I'm also not quite sure how I feel about being in Primary. I expected to be called to Primary eventually, but I find the thought of not attending Sunday School or Relief Society to be a bit unsettling since it's what I've been doing for the last 8 years. I expect it will be good practice for when I have my own children and teach me some much needed patience. I hope I won't get lost in primary like so many other women (meaning that you never know anyone who doesn't also work in primary or have children that age). But, my other calling should take care of that. And if I can get a job soon, I can start to feel like a productive person again. I tell you, I function so much better when I have too much to do and not too little. If I have too much free time, I become a lazy slob and I'd really like to snap out of that as soon as possible.

2 comments:

abby said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
abby said...

I was a sunbeam teacher to three boys. They don't pay attention at that age so be prepared. It will get crazy. I liked primary better when I taught the 9 year olds. However, I asked to be released at after 1 1/2 years. I missed RS too. For me primary, a perfect way to blend into a family ward. Knowing the kids, gave me an "in" I didn't have before. It's also a great calling for the unemployed since you have to plan something every week. Good luck with the callings!