Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Cupcakes

In honor of the completion of my root canal procedure (I had my permanent crown fitted and cemented today, hooray!) I bring you the ooey gooey goodness of these chocolate peanut butter cupcakes. Because nothing screams root canal better than a lot of sugar.

I snagged the recipe off of Bakerella's blog. She, in turn, snagged the recipe from another site. (Links to recipes are inside the comments. My computer is acting funky today. Sorry.) It's meant to be a regular two layer cake recipe with a dark chocolate ganache, but I decided to make cupcakes instead.

One thing about this recipe that I really liked was how easy it was. Plus, I liked that it used a regular cake mix as its foundation. I've made a lot of cakes from scratch and I'm still not sure that they're any better than cakes from a box.
But maybe I just haven't found the right cake recipe yet.
One thing I have discovered is that a cake recipe should always include either buttermilk or sour cream. Either of these ingredients will make your cake moist and delicious. And don't worry about buying actual buttermilk. You can make your own by pouring in one tablespoon of lemon juice into a one cup measure and then filling the rest of the cup with whatever milk you have on hand. If you let it sit for 5 minutes, it turns into a very close approximation of buttermilk.
There are a lot of peanut butter cups used in this recipe. Not only did I put chopped peanut butter cups on top of the ganache, but there's also two cups of peanut butter cups in the batter itself. Talk about decadent. Peanut butter and chocolate is such a heavenly combination.

In addition to my 2 dozen cupcakes, I also make this little mini-cake for my friend Gaby whose birthday was last Wednesday. The chocolate ganache did start to melt rather quickly (it's best to throw the cupcakes in the refrigerator for an hour to harden the chocolate) but it still turned out pretty well, if only slightly lopsided. I'm working on the pretty part still.
But they still tasted divine.

5 comments:

Nicole said...

::Drooling:: Liz those cupcakes look AMAZING!! :-D You gotta send me the recipe. I tried looking on Bakerella's blog, but didn't see it...

Emily said...

Oh, that looks really good. I haven't eaten breakfast yet and I think I could take down a lot of them. Right now. Too bad you're in Hawaii...

Liz said...

Here's Bakerella's post about it: http://bakerella.blogspot.com/2008/06/got-milk-i-hope-so.html It was last year, so it's an old entry. Of course, hers looks much better than mine.

The recipe Bakerella used is right here: http://www.parents.com/recipe/chocolate-cakes/peanut-butter-fudge-cake/

I might change the frosting a little bit next time I make them but this recipe is definitely a keeper.

Cassandra said...

Those look so good!! I am will have to make them!!!

abby said...

It's times like this that I wish you weren't on the other side of the world. The cupcakes you made last year for my birthday were divine.