Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Public Service Announcement - You Should Watch Firefly

Hi. This here post is about obsessions. Over the years, I've had many, many obsessions. Some of which were fun and fleeting and some of which were enduring and all-consuming. Some of which had to do with *Nsync which I'd really rather not talk about right now. (Seriously, how embarrassing is that? Sorry everyone who knew me freshmen year at BYU.) Over the years, I have learned how to monitor my obsessive personality and my tendency to, well, obsess over many things and to keep them in check. Well, almost.


I have a few long standing obessions: Chocolate. History. Books. Museums. Pretty shoes. Checking my email 82 million times a day. Pop culture.


Right now, I have two new addictions: the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon and Joss Whedon's Firefly.


Several friends of ours [me and David] had repeatedly told us to watch the short-lived but critically aclaimed television show Firefly. I'd heard about it, of course, but never knew much about it except that it was created by Joss Whedon, he who created Buffy the Vampire Slayer, a show which I once loved. (Actually, I still think it was one of the best written shows on TV but that's another discussion for another day.) But I also knew that it got cancelled after only half a season (there are 14 episodes) and I'm tired of falling in love with cancelled and/or soon-to-be-cancelled shows. (Stupid ABC.)


But then I found all 14 episodes for free at Hulu.com, so David and I sat down to watch them last week. By the third episode, we were hooked. We watched as many episodes as we could each day and then on Saturday, after a long and draining morning attending Sister Kim's funeral, we came home to watch the remaining four episodes we had left. We finished the last episode around 9:30 p.m. on Saturday night and we both wanted to immediately watch Serenity, the feature film follow-up that basically wrapped up the series. [You could watch Serenity without having seen the show first, but it makes a lot more sense if you do.]


Well, I had planned on renting the movie from the library because it only costs a dollar, but neither David or I could stand to wait until Monday when the library re-opened, so we raced to our room to put on clothes (as we're much in the habit of of wearing our pjs as soon as we get home), and then raced to Wal-Mart to see if we could just buy the movie there. They didn't have it, so we raced over to the nearest Blockbuster to rent it. The movie secured, we came home and popped it in at 10:30 p.m. It was a completely satisfying ending to a very good television show. And I was grateful that the movie had been made so they show could have its final good-bye and not leave the fans with no answers.

The best way I can describe the show is a western set in space. It's far more complex than that, but that gives you the general feel of the show. Like all Joss Whedon creations, the characters are complex, the dialouge is rich and filled with wit, and the banter is snappy. If you like sci-fi, if you like Star Wars, if you've ever liked an episode of Buffy, you should watch this show.


I'll let you know if I find any other obsessions. I have a new one about every other week.

And you're welcome.

5 comments:

abby said...

Speaking of the awesomness of Joss Whedon have you seen Dr. Horrible's Sing A Long blog? It's on huulu now but I think it's only Act 1. My other addiction is this over 30 part blog series on a woman who met her husband and moved to a ranch
http://thepioneerwoman.com/category/black_heelstractor_wheels/the_night_i_met_marlboro_man

It is kind of romance novel-ish but it's a fun read.

Liz said...

Oh Abs, this is why we are friends. I have seen Dr. Horrible's Sing Along (Nathan Fillion is in Firefly and Dr. Horrible) but I haven't seen the whole thing yet. And I'm totally addicted to the Pioneer Woman. I've already read her whole story. I'm always waiting for the next installation. :-)

The Nelsen Family: said...

Wait, YOU have an obsessive personality? No way! Hehehe, the Nsync days...

Anyway. Liz...sometimes it's frightening how similar we are. I saw Serenity and loved it (I knew I would, it being by Joss Whedon and all). I still haven't seen Firefly, but I intend to one of these days. And I so agree, Buffy was a very well written show. John laughs at me whenever I say that, but it's true.

And you should be smacked and at the same time thanked for telling me about the Outlander series. SO addicting, it's ridiculous. John is dying for me to be done so I can start paying a little more attention to him. :) I'm in the middle of A Breath of Snow and Ashes. So good! Any idea on when the next book comes out? I haven't really seen anything definite yet...

Liz said...

Kara, I knew you'd understand. After all, you were right there with me for a lot of those addictions. :-) As for Joss Whedon, Buffy was an amazing show and he never failed to deliver something interesting and thought-provoking, though still amusing at the same time. Joss has a new TV show premiering on Fox next month called The Dollhouse. It sounds like an interesting premise and I'll probably tune in even though it stars Eliza Dushku and I was never a huge fan of hers. But you should definitely watch Firefly if you get a chance. I think even John would like it. David LOVED it.

As for Outlander, I totally know what you mean. And David and John could start a Neglected Husbands Club from the amount of time we've both probably spent reading these books and ignoring our husbands in the process. I used the Christmas money my mom gave me this year to buy the whole series. I'm seriously thinking of re-reading the whole series again.

A Breath of Snow and Ashes was much harder for me to get through than the other books because of its size and its content. Some disturbing stuff happens but it gets you all set up for the Revolution. I'm excited to see what comes next. As for when the next book [An Echo in the Bone] comes out, last I heard Diana was still writing it but hoped that it would be out by fall of this year. She's also working on a graphic novel that is a retelling of the first part of Outlander from Murtagh's prespective. That's also expected for this fall or sometime early in 2010 and I'm very excited about that. Yup. I'm way addicted.

Nicole said...

I loved Firefly and Serenity too! Though very bummed Mal and What's-Her-Face never got together. :-(

Check out Quarterlife:
http://www.quarterlife.com/theshow/view

I really liked that web show too, especially the music!

:-)