Last Saturday, David and I drove up the windward side of the island from
Kaneohe to
Laie, which I hadn't seen before. While David drove, I hung out the side of the car, snapping pictures as we
whizzed past beach, ocean and palm trees.
Kam Highway, which runs basically around the island, sits right next to the ocean, and there's not a lot of beach, really, but this is pretty typical of what the windward side looks like.

Blurry trees and all.

There's not much between
Kaneohe and
Laie [I don't even think they have a grocery store] but there are several homes, even some that are built up on stilts right on the beach. Crazy people. Have fun when the next
tsunami hits.

There were lots of palm trees. And it was quite windy. We stopped at a beach park along the way to take in what little there was to see and to walk around the park.

You can see the mountains in the background, which separate the windward side from the rest of the island.

It was a bit dark and cloudy, but I sometimes like
ominous clouds. When I'm safe inside.

There's a little island off the shore of the beach park. I forget what it's called.

We drove all the way to
Laie before we stopped to eat and turn around. I jumped out of the car to snap a few photos of the temple. I've been meaning to take photos but I always forgot my camera when we went to the temple and now that it's closed for renovations, I didn't know if or when we'd be back up that way.

Though I'd still like to go to the Polynesian Culture Center before we leave the islands.

The
Laie temple is the oldest active temple built outside of Utah (finished in 1919) and it's pretty small and in definite need of updates.
Tomorrow, David and I are going on a whale-watching tour off the coast of Honolulu. Hopefully there will be more pictures, and hopefully even one or two of whales.
2 comments:
Pretty! Makes me long for an island vacation...emphasis on vacation though, I think living there would be hard. But you're doing a great job of it! :)
Yeah, island life is definitely not for me. I'm glad I'll only be here another six months. But there are days when I do enjoy it.
Post a Comment