As 2016 finally comes to a close (thank goodness) it's always nice to look back and reflect. On a personal and family level, it's been a good year for us. We've had more good things than bad happen and 2017 looks to bring even better things. But it's been a hard year in many other ways because of individual set-backs and national and global events. And yet, I remain optimistic for the future. For all the bad, I still see so much good in the world and am grateful for everything we have.
January - David started a new job, still with SunTrust, but in a different side of the bank. It was a good move--he's great at what he does and he has much better hours and quality of life. Adelaide graduated to a "big bed girl bed."
February - David and I celebrate our birthdays by doing something probably. Maybe. I can't remember. Started potty training Adelaide which took forever and she still tries to hold it as long as she can and Zara was so much easier. Wait! We went to a Persian restaurant called Rumi's Kitchen for our birthdays and it was delicious. I definitely want to go back there again. Finally got our camera fixed. Took Zara to the Sleeping Beauty ballet for Valentine's Day. I take all the kids to the aquarium by myself. Bad idea.
My best Facebook status all year: "Zara, after eating my homemade minestrone soup: "This soup is disgusting. I'm not saying you didn't make it well, I'm just saying it tastes disgusting. It doesn't mean I don't love you. I'm not trying to hate you. I ate a carrot. It tastes like government. Can I have more pineapple?" Verbatim. I'm typing as she's saying this."
March - Signed Zara up for gymnastics and as soon as she was old enough, I signed up Adelaide as well. Both are loving it. I start running along the Chattahoochee River on a regular basis.
April - Took a mini two-day vacation to Chattanooga, Tennessee which I loved. Seriously, people. Chattanooga is awesome.
May - David and I celebrate 10 years together as a couple. We celebrate Adelaide's third birthday. She got a bike for her birthday which she still refuses to ride because it doesn't have pedals. Zara finishes her kindergarten year. I give a talk in Sacrament Meeting on Mother's Day about women in church history.
June - Celebrate our 8th wedding anniversary. We went to Gunshow which sadly did not live up to expectations. Zara has her second dance recital. She loves performing on the stage and who's kid is she? (David claims this is a Malone thing.) Discover the stray cat I had been feeding had a litter of four kittens under our house and we take them in because we crazy. We name the mama Louisa May Alcott and her kitties Jo, Teddy, Bhaer, and Meg (who turns out to be a boy).
July - Went to Colorado (by myself!) for my dear friend Whitney's wedding and reunited with my high school friends. Seriously, the best weekend. Benjamin celebrates his first birthday. We visit the Tellus Science Museum and the Chattahoochee Nature Reserve. My sister visits from Rhode Island and we go to the MLK NPS site.
August - Zara starts first grade and celebrates her sixth birthday. She picks a scooter for her birthday present and I take her out for a day of pampering--hair cut and pedicure. I walk a full mile on a popular trail with a diaper stuck to my butt before someone tells me. My brother visits from New Jersey.
September - David and I get to go to a Braves game together. Alone. Like on a date. Benjamin FINALLY starts walking. Zara loses her first tooth. Adelaide got nurse maid's elbow but it was quickly (though not inexpensively) fixed. Adelaide started attending a cute co-op preschool group. Find homes for all our kitties except Bhaer who I just couldn't part with. Go on a weeklong vacation to Charleston, SC which was simply lovely.
October - Had family photos taken. Went on a preschool field trip to the fire station. Went as Firefly characters for Halloween. We go on our annual apple picking trip in Blue Ridge. My parents come for a short visit and we go to the World of Coca Cola.
November - Ran my first 5K. Voted. My friend Christa visits and we go to the Gone With the Wind Museum.
December - Christmas vacation to Asheville, NC. David put his condo in Hawaii on the market and we got an offer almost right away and for a great price. We were just hoping to break even so to even get any money back was a great blessing. It took forever to close (as these things do) but the proceeds helped us pay off David's student loans so that was a happy bonus.
Saturday, December 31, 2016
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment