Saturday, November 26, 2016

Happy Thanksgiving!

We had a nice, low key Thanksgiving. I decided that I wanted to host my own dinner since it has been several years since I have cooked a turkey and done the whole thing myself. David's family wasn't doing a big thing this year so we invited his parents over for lunch and they did their own thing for dinner. It worked out really well. 


It's always amazing to me how much time and effort goes into preparing the Thanksgiving meal and then it only takes 30 minutes to eat. I spread out a lot of my prep in the days before Thursday--I made homemade cinnamon ice cream, caramel, and the cranberry sauce. 


David decided he was going to use one of our leftover Halloween pumpkins (which wasn't carved) to make pumpkin pie. Now, if you know David, you know he doesn't cook. But he did the research, found some recipes, and spent most of Wednesday roasting, pureeing, and making the pumpkin pie filling. I think it turned out pretty great (even though I'm not a huge pumpkin pie fan). 

I put the turkey in the oven early in the morning on Thursday (after dry brining it the day before) and went for a run. When I got back, I finished off the stuffing, mashed potatoes, apple pie, roasted carrots, and gravy. David insisted the turkey would take forever, but it was done pretty quickly. In fact, it probably cooked too long and it was a little dry but I actually don't mind that because you just drench your turkey with gravy anyway. 


Luckily, David's parents arrived early and we got down to eating as soon as all the food was ready. My mother-in-law brought rolls and sweet potatoes. It was a delicious meal. 


And here's sweet Benjamin cuddling with his grandpa. That boy is just too cute and sweet for words. He really loved the sweet potatoes and turkey. I think Adelaide maybe ate a roll and Zara ate most of her food. I've been enjoying all the leftovers, but the kids are pretty sick of turkey. Bhaer still thinks it's great and keeps trying to hop into the refrigerator to eat the leftovers. 

No comments: