Thursday, November 3, 2016

Gone With the Wind Museum and Marietta Square


We've lived in Marietta for almost three years now and literally just down the street (OK, the 120 Loop) is the historic Marietta Square with its random museums and historic district. I've been to the square and several of the museums before, but when my old college friend and fellow American history nerd Christa came to visit it seemed like a good opportunity to check it out again. We went to the Gone With the Wind Museum but calling it a museum is a generous moniker. It's a personal collection of Gone With the Wind memorabilia from both the book and movie productions--hundreds of editions of the book from a variety of countries, typewritten correspondence from Margaret Mitchell, telegrams from the producers of the movie about casting choices, photographs, costumes, and more. It was a weird and varied display but still fascinating in its own respect. And now I have this huge desire to re-read the book and watch the movie. 


After the museum, we walked through the square. I swear I've walked through it before but I must have forgotten or never noticed that they have a small replica train of the General, from the great locomotive chase of the Civil War, that kids can climb on and play with. It even has a slide out the back. 






The kids had a lot of fun and enjoyed having Christa come visit. Zara was especially sad to see her go because she helped her with her homework and played Uno with her. They're pretty much BFFs now. 

No comments: