Monday, June 3, 2013

Newborn Love

Whenever I imagined my future life with kids, I always pictured them as older children. I had never spent much time around young, young children and even though Zara is almost 3 years old, I still [mostly] have no idea what to do with her. But I do look forward to having older children, who can talk and read and reason and to teaching them from my vast amounts of wisdom and knowledge. (Ha!) I think that time comes around the age of 8, so in the meantime, I'm just trying to survive the early years.

I do, however, LOVE the newborn stage. Love it. Having sweet Adelaide around makes it even more difficult to practice patience with Zara's more colorful antics (especially her current insistence that she do everything herself...even when she realistically can't). And best of all, Adelaide never talks back and never throws tantrums....and if she does, it's generally solved by offering her more milk. Zara is not so easy to appease these days.

I love newborn cuddles and snuggles. I love the way Adelaide burrows her head into the crook of my neck and how I could sit and hold her for hours and be perfectly content. I love the little grunts and groans and snorts she makes when sleeping and I even mostly love her cries for milk or a diaper change. I love watching the various expressions that flit across her face as she sleeps and dreams, from pouty faces to angelic smiles (which show off her little dimples). I love the way she stretches and how she gets milk all over her face when she eats.

It's just too bad that newborns have to grow up. Mostly, that's a good thing. Newborns are a lot of work, but while it lasts, I really enjoy it. My friend, a photographer, needed a newborn model for her etsy shop (where she sells photography props) and I was more than happy to volunteer Adelaide. These are a few of the photos she took of Adelaide last week. I'm still waiting for her to send me the proofs (without her tag) but I just couldn't resist sharing the adorableness that is Adelaide.





No comments: