Saturday, January 12, 2013

The Expanding Malones

When I was pregnant with Zara, David gave me a blessing where he basically told me that Zara had been watching us from heaven and had chosen us as her parents and was excited to be a part of our family. I've thought about that quite a bit recently and I would totally pick us as parents.....we're pretty awesome.

Apparently, another little girl has picked us to be her parents as well and she'll be making her appearance near the end of May.

I would post the requisite ultrasound image to prove it, but well, those things just look like giant blobs to me and even though the three pictures the ultrasound technician gave us are labeled with body parts and a clear proclamation of "GIRL!," you'll just have to take her [and my] word for it.

I had debated about when to make the "official" internet announcement. Close friends and family (particularly those who have seen my expanding belly in person) know, but I've enjoyed keeping this pregnancy quiet and inconspicuous.  A small (small) part of me wanted to not say anything until she was born and just post a picture with "Surprise! I had a baby!" But now that we know what we're having and the baby is moving and making her presence felt so much more, I didn't want to keep quiet anymore. But I wanted to post on the blog first before I took the announcement to Facebook.

We're very excited to have another girl, though I think David is a little apprehensive of what he's going to do with two daughters, especially once they hit the teenage years. I will admit that a small, small part of me was really hoping for a boy but only because we have a boy name picked out and ready to go and we cannot agree on a single girl's name. It's not even that we can't agree, it's that we can't even think of any good options to begin with. So if anyone wants to offer up some girl name suggestions (with the tiny hint of possibility that we may steal it from you), please do so. I am in a girl name rut and I need some help.


And for those who care about this sort of information, I'm currently 21 weeks and am planning to have a water birth with a midwife at a birthing center here in Provo. I'm very excited to be working with our midwife and am looking forward (yes looking forward) to having a completely natural and hospital-free birth. :)

5 comments:

abby said...

Congratulations Liz! I plan on coming out to Utah in the late spring so hopefully she'll be around so I can meet her as well as Zara. I've only named one baby in my life because the spirit was really strong when I suggested it. For some reason, the name Olivia seems to be sticking out. Use it or lose it. I don't care. I'm planning on naming my own daughter that. If she's born on my birthday, she should be named after me since her due date is around that time. :) However, my name is way popular right now.

Emily said...

Yay!! Very exciting news. And cool that there's a birth center in Provo. I'm curious if you have liked midwifery care so far. We have the same problem with naming boys, so lucky for us we have three girls ;). Names we didn't use this time...I'll try to find the list and suggest them. Madeleine is always a favorite, but a little popular.

Liz Malone said...

Abby, I do like the name Olivia (and Abigail), but I am trying to avoid popular or trendy names. Which is a shame because old-fashioned names (which I love) are making a comeback and some of my very favorite names have become very popular lately. The one name that I do love, David is very against. I can't blame him....he has a very good reason for it, but I still love that name.

Emily, I actually considered Madeleine for a little bit, but it is becoming popular and it just doesn't feel right...at least not for this girl. My midwife's main birth center is in Pleasant Grove, but she just opened a second one in Provo that is literally 4 blocks from our house. Both her birth centers are older homes that she's converted into centers and the Provo one just got approval this month. I had actually wanted a home birth, but it was cheaper to do the birth center and it comes with the birthing tub (which we'd have to pay extra for at home).

I've enjoyed working with the midwife so far, and as much as I think our birthing philosophies mesh, I'm a little worried that I haven't felt a strong click with her yet. I think it will come in time, especially as my pregnancy progresses and we get to know each other better, but I feel that I have to trust my midwife in a way I never had to trust my rotating round of doctors with Zara. I do feel that things are often a bit scattered and disorganized when I go in for my check-ups, but that's to be expected when she doesn't use a receptionist and handles most everything herself. Still, once I'm in the room with her, I feel that I have her attention. She answers all my questions, no matter how silly, and takes all my concerns seriously. I tend to be overly-anxious in medical situations--and birth/labor is no exception despite my absolute confidence in myself and my body--and she has done a wonderful job of mitigating my concerns and keeping my anxiety down.

mj said...

Congratulations, Liz! I like the twenty week reveal :). We had several girl names we liked for the last one (who ended up being a boy in case you didn't notice), but the only one coming to mind right now is Caroline. Might be a little too rhymey with Zara for you. We won't be using it now since Colin's name is included in it and that would be a bit much. I do have one other one but I am really liking it for possible future child #3. Not that I really care much if you use the same name as me, I just feel like not letting it out into the universe (it's a normal name, it just feels weird to say it "out loud.") Oh, I like Charlotte too, but it's also a bit on the trendy side.

Liz Malone said...

MJ, I totally get that. We have a boy's name all set to go but I often don't like to tell people what it is. It takes away some of the specialness of it, somehow. I feel the same way with my preferred girl name. Even though the likelihood that David will let me name our daughter that name is about 0.0005%, I still keep it close because it is special to me. Love the name Charlotte too. That may go on the list.