So the other day I was chatting with a friend online, and she
made the comment that she likes the way I write. I like the way I write, too,
but for some reason I just can’t find the motivation to write anything anymore,
hence the repeated promises to friends and family that I will write more on
this blog, only to make myself, once again, a liar… with a capital L… so it
should have looked like this Liar… but I should have put that second “Liar” in
quotes like I just did with that one right there… and I probably should have
offset it with a colon…. So in summary, when stating how something should have
looked, you should always put it in quotes and offset it with a colon, like
this: “Liar.” What was I saying again?
Oh yes, writing. When I was a younger version of myself,
meaning that I was a teenager, meaning that I was a squeaky-voiced juvenile,
meaning I was prepubescent, meaning that I was probably around 13 or 14,
meaning that… what was I saying again?
Oh yes. Younger me, writing. Gotcha. So when I was of fewer
years than I am today, I used to write quite a bit. It was all meaningless,
mind you. No one in their right mind would actually read all of the words,
because, let’s face it, I was writing about nothing. I would scribble on and on—as
opposed to babble, because we’re talking about writing here. Do try to pay
attention. Anyway, rarely was a useful or even coherent thought articulated on page. Still,
I considered it a gift—and still do in fact—that I could fill volumes with
little more than a merry-go-round of empty thoughts. I mean, how could you not
consider that a gift? Seinfeld did standup comedy about nothing and people
liked it so much and they threw so much money at him to make a TV show about
nothing that by the end of that show, the four main characters were making over
a million an episode… each. How could that not be considered a gift?! I mean, I…
wait… what was I saying again?
Oh yes, so my friend makes the comment that she liked the
letters I used to write to her back before I went on a mission to Taiwan. I had
completely forgotten that I had even written her any letters. Then I got to
thinking about all the other people I’ve written letters to, and of course
there was the infamous event back when I was a younger version of myself (you
remember what that means, of course), when I unintentionally wrote a 7 or 8 page
letter to a girlfriend…. Yes, unintentionally. I don’t remember what was in
that letter any more, but I do remember that I was a little surprised at how
long it was. Anyway, what was I saying again?
Oh yes, so this former girlfriend thought it’d be fun to write
more pages than me and she returned something like a 12 page letter… but she
cheated. On about half of the pages she had only written one word really big
across the entire sheet. Even though I knew she’d cheated, I still felt the
need to retaliate with an even longer letter and I quite boldly and rashly
proclaimed that I would write her a 40 page letter! …Yeah, about that…. Well,
in the end I cheated a little bit by having a dialogue on page with my older
sister, but only for the last few pages. I mean, honestly, how long do you
think I can write about nothing before even I start to get bored?! It isn’t
always easy, you see. It requires an unfocused mind and a well of whimsy. Well,
on that occasion the well dried up a bit and I needed a little help, a little
extra material with which to work. Thank goodness for older sisters…. Wait, I’m
not here to talk about older sisters! What was
I saying?
Oh yeah, letters and writing. So I like to write, I really
do, but I realize that some of the people reading this may have already given
up before I even get to my point. Wait? What is my point? Where am I going with this? Hold on, I need to
retrace my steps…. Writing, gotcha… whimsy, okay… Taiwan, I always like going
back there… Oh yes! There’s my point, back at the top where I started!
So as I was saying, about my friend. We’ve been friends for
ages, but we’ve never met in person. That’s right, I have an internet friend. We’ve
talked a few times on the phone and corresponded through email and letters, but
mostly through Facebook chat these days. She was one of the first people I met
(and the only one to stand the test of time) back in the day when I first started using the internet, back when AIM was cool.
Do you remember that far back? I have trouble….
Anyway, what was I saying again? Yes, my internet friend, and
what a good friend she is. We’ve really been there for each other over the
years, through good times and bad. And even though we haven’t ever met, she
really is one of my best friends. I look forward to meeting her in person
someday and introducing her to my family as one of my oldest, dearest friends. So,
Renee, if you made it this far through this post, this one is for you. Thanks
for inspiring me to write something, even if most of it was just a bunch of
nonsense.
Maybe next time I’ll try to write something people can
actually stand to read… or maybe I’ll just keep being myself.
2 comments:
Made me giggle, though thankfully not outloud as I'm trying to get a baby back to sleep. Internal giggle yes. :)
Silly Boy...always loved your letter writing/papers for school/notes...etc...
Love you! Mom
Post a Comment