Thursday, May 19, 2011

Moving Madness

We're knee-deep in moving madness here, thanks for asking. Moving across the world is super fun, ya'll.

Honestly, I love getting to live in all sorts of different places and having all these fantastic experiences. I wouldn't have it any other way. But in the last five years I've moved from California to Virginia from Virginia to Hawaii from Hawaii to Korea and you see, I'm a little worn out now.

Plus, now I have to move with a baby. Who requires SO MUCH STUFF. Seriously, it's exhausting just thinking about all the little things I need to remember to pack for Zara, especially since I don't know how she'll react to the drastic changes that are coming her way in a week. I want her to be surrounded by familiarity even as all our worldly possessions are packed up and away and sent off. I'm pretty confident she'll do just fine with it all, but you never know.

So here's the super awesome run-down of my life for the next three months:

The rest of May - We have exactly one week until the movers come to pack up our stuff. Then we move in the hotel on base for a week while we do our final check-out.

June 1st - Fly from Seoul to San Francisco and then on to San Diego. I don't even want to think about what a joyous experience it's going to be to take a 12 hour plane ride with a 9 month old and a cat. But, like labor, I figure you can survive anything for a day. And then promptly forget all about it.

June 1-10? - We'll spend roughly the first two weeks of June in San Diego while David does his final out-processing with the Navy. He can't do it here because we're at an Army garrison, so they send you to San Diego which works out perfectly for us.

June/July - We hit the road on our Rediscover America! super awesome roadtrip. (And why are we torturing Zara so much? I hope she learns to loooove her car seat.) Our tentative plans are to take the 10 through Arizona, New Mexico, Texas through to Houston, then drive up to the Dallas area (hi Kara!) to then take the 20 on to Atlanta. We plan on spending 10-14 days with David's family in Georgia before heading back on a northern route (possibly hitting up Nauvoo and other church history sites along the way) before rolling back into San Diego the weekend of July 16th for my mom's big 60th birthday bash. (All the family is flying in for the occasion.) We want to take our time on our roadtrip and visit as many friends along the way. (And if you want to host us for a night, that'd be super awesome too. ;))

July 16ish - Spend a little bit more time with my family.

End of July - We might continue our road trip a bit by driving up California (to visit my sister in Lemore, near Fresno) and possibly up to Oregon, which neither of us have been to before, and maybe Washington. (I've always wanted to see Seattle.) Or we may just sit on the beaches of San Diego in exhausted trances.

Early August - Move to Utah. We plan to get to Utah at the beginning of August (at the very latest) to look for housing, jobs, and to be reunited with our long lost belongings. I've been looking at the housing market in Utah but I haven't really seen anything I really like yet, but I'm hoping we'll still be able to find something quickly and easily. I'd really like to see the apartments before we move in rather than try to get something lined up before we move there. But we'll see how it goes. David has orientation the third week of August and then has his first official day of school on August 29th. We get to be poor grad students ALL over again. Yay!?!

So yes, it's going to be a whirlwind three months but I'm looking forward to it. And if I can survive it all without breaking out into hives this time, I'll be truly impressed with myself.

6 comments:

Emily said...

As I said before, you're welcome to stay here a night. Or two or whatever. We're not directly off the 10, but we're still in Phoenix, so it's not too bad. We have a guest room and even an extra side gate for the bed for cosleeping if you want it. :) I'd better actually make that bed. The sheets are clean but just piled on top...

The Kovar Family said...

I can't imagine how much you are juggling now... but you will make it, and it sounds like you have lots of great, fun plans this summer. If you do make it up to Washington, you're welcome to stay here. Ephram would have fun meeting his second cousin.

Liz said...

Thanks! We just may take both of you up on those offers. :)

And Emily, I've been thinking of buying an extra side rail to take with us on our trip....just pop that on whatever bed we happen to be sleeping on and then we won't have to worry about finding a suitable place for Zara to sleep. (Though honestly, most everyone we plan on visiting has young children, so they'd probably have a place for Zara to sleep in.)

Several of my friends mentioned that their young children had a difficult time adjusting to big moves which made me worry about how Zara will handle the move, but then I thought that not much will actually change for her. She's so attached to David and I, especially because we co-sleep, that as long as we're with her, I think she'll do just fine.

mj said...

Wow. You are going to get really good at traveling with a baby! Be sure to share your tips with the rest of us.

And you're welcome to stay with us (we have a guest room) but I didn't see DC on your itinerary.

Emily said...

I suspect that Zara is young enough that she'll adjust just fine. And I do think that cosleeping helps a lot. We've done a lot of traveling with Morgan and for the most part she's been great with it. However, you are dealing with a much bigger move than we've ever tried. With kids you just need to take more down time, but sleeping wise I bet she'll be okay. Anywho, depending where you are we've learned to push chairs up against the bed after once she fell out (ahhh!). When my mom visited us once she moved the dresser next to the bed. And you're right that most people probably will have something to help you. Let me know whenever you want to come if it works out!

The Nelsen Family: said...

Yay! I'm so glad you're stopping in Texas, can't wait to see you guys.