Monday, January 31, 2011

Good-bye Hair

I always thought I had rather nice hair and was somewhat vain about it. But that's when I had a good hair stylist and time to straighten my hair, let alone brush it. Since Zara arrived, however, my hair has had somewhat of a tougher time, especially once it began falling out in massive clumps, like I had been warned that it would. And once Zara discovered that yanking on my hair was super fun, my hair pretty much never saw its release from my hair claw. In my frustrations, I would often threaten David that I would simply cut off all my hair. He, being a man, likes my hair long. But these were all idle threats because I've spent the last 6 years growing out my hair and really had no intention of chopping it off now.

Well, so much for that plan. I know it's not really short by most people's standards, but this is the shortest my hair has been since probably high school. David and I went to get our hair cut last Saturday (apparently we've been going to the same woman but just didn't know it) and when my turn came, I said that I'd be willing to go a little shorter. I certainly wasn't intending for this much hair to be taken off but once they make that first major cut, there's really no turning back. As I watch my hair flying off all around me, I just kept reminding myself that hair grows back. Eventually. Sometimes. But I lost a good 9-10 inches.

But for now, it's okay. It's a lot more manageable and it's certainly much healthier. Plus, I don't need quite so much shampoo or conditioner now. And the best part is that it's much harder for Zara to grab onto. She really has to work at it now....but that doesn't mean she isn't trying.

2 comments:

abby said...

I like it!

Cassandra said...

I like it too. I'm also planning on cutting my hair in the next few weeks and much shorter than yours (if I have the courage to go through with it).